Lily pads

walshie

It's got to the time of year when I can stock my pond with some coarse fish. The trout have done their job of eating the stunted stuff in there, as well as being very tasty on the barbecue! 

I'd like to put some lily pads down the shallow end, to relive my youth of casting a float by the pads and watching it slide away when a tench takes the bait. 

I don't really know where to start though as the pond level rises quite a lot in the wet weather, so I don't know what will happen if the pads are submerged for a few days. I've seen them for sale in baskets which you drop in, or bare root ones, but how do you get bare roots into the mud at the bottom of the pond?

I assume you buy lilies that are taller than the depth of the pond, or is that too simplistic?

Any advice much appreciated. 

Have you got a licence to restock? Otherwise you might want to consider editing some of the above

The Environment Agency (EA) regulates the movement of all fish, fry and ova to and from fisheries (rivers, canals, drains and stillwaters).

It’s against the law to do the following without permit or authorisation:

• introduce any fish or fish spawn into a fishery
  • remove fish from a fishery (unless using a rod and line, when different rules apply)
  • be in possession of any fish or fish spawn intended for introduction to a fishery

Unquote

Apologies for putting a downer on things. 

Edited by Eyefor

40 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Have you got a licence to restock? Otherwise you might want to consider editing some of the above

The Environment Agency (EA) regulates the movement of all fish, fry and ova to and from fisheries (rivers, canals, drains and stillwaters).

It’s against the law to do the following without permit or authorisation:

• introduce any fish or fish spawn into a fishery
  • remove fish from a fishery (unless using a rod and line, when different rules apply)
  • be in possession of any fish or fish spawn intended for introduction to a fishery

Unquote

Apologies for putting a downer on things. 

No need to apologise. It's not a downer and I don't need to edit anything. I'm aware of the law and have jumped through the relevant hoops with Natural Resources Wales (rather than the EA here) for a permit to stock rainbow trout, carp, bream and tench.

Apart from being law-abiding, you need the permit before they will deliver.

It's just the lily pads that are a mystery.

Edited by walshie

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

To be serious, you can just chuck them in and they will grow their stems to the depth of water (so long as its not 10 feet deep) don’t worry about trying to dig them into the bottom, they will find their own way out of the pots and spread.

The end I'm thinking of varies from about 1ft to 3ft. So chuck them in still in the baskets and they'll do the rest? does it matter if the pads are under the surface till they grow?

Yep, 1 to 3 feet is perfect, it does not matter if the open pads are under water when you plant them, depending how old the pads are they will try to reach the surface but any new ones will grow to match the depth of water, although mine are starting to slow down now they are still flowering and producing more pads, it might pay to wait until next spring to give them plenty of time to get established, you will be surprised how quick they grow and spread.

Just now, old'un said:

Yep, 1 to 3 feet is perfect, it does not matter if the open pads are under water when you plant them, depending how old the pads are they will try to reach the surface but any new ones will grow to match the depth of water, although mine are starting to slow down now they are still flowering and producing more pads, it might pay to wait until next spring to give them plenty of time to get established, you will be surprised how quick they grow and spread.

Makes sense. Thanks. :good:

From what I recall they are pretty robust.  One large pond I used to fish had some big areas of lily pads which would from time to time float around, so I guess they can form "clumps" and break free when the wind gets up enough and/or water level rises after heavy rains.

1 hour ago, John_R said:

From what I recall they are pretty robust.  One large pond I used to fish had some big areas of lily pads which would from time to time float around, so I guess they can form "clumps" and break free when the wind gets up enough and/or water level rises after heavy rains.

Rhizomes lilies will not float about the pond, the roots are anchored firmly in the mud.