Sbs help before I give up and sell it

Doitwithstyle

Hi all 

brought a sbs a little back as fort be something different to shoot clays with . 

However cant hit a thing with it . Was probably better of using it as a cricket bat . 

Before i give up with it complety and try and sell / give it away 

any one have any advice .

normally use a o/u or semi auto . 

Thanks 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Hi all 

brought a sbs a little back as fort be something different to shoot clays with . 

However cant hit a thing with it . Was probably better of using it as a cricket bat . 

Before i give up with it complety and try and sell / give it away 

any one have any advice .

normally use a o/u or semi auto . 

Thanks 

hello, what make and model is it ?  what type rib ? is it the right length of pull measurement, trigger finger to your shoulder, do you keep both eyes open or close one eye, have you tried on a pattern plate.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Same length of pull as both my others . Only difference is my other 2 are pistol grip style . 

The side by side is a aya yeoman . And straight stock style . 

Might be that it dosnt fit me propley. 

Thanks 

I think it is a bit more than "might not fit me"

30 minutes ago, Doitwithstyle said:

Same length of pull as both my others . Only difference is my other 2 are pistol grip style . 

The side by side is a aya yeoman . And straight stock style . 

Might be that it dosnt fit me propley. 

Thanks 

Well there you are straight stock needs to be longer than a pistol grip due to the angel of the wrist.  That’s just for starters we’ve not got to the difficult bits yet and it doesn’t fit!!  

Just now, Doitwithstyle said:

Ok thanks . So I didn’t pay much . So it will be up for grabs soon . Or is it worthless any way and il give it away . Or raffle it lll 

Why all guns can be made to fit it’s just a question of how much it’ll cost often an extension and raise the comb are easily done on sbs guns so why get rid until you know.  

Stick one of those rubber jobbies on the stock with some packing in it to extend the lop. In fact I think I've got one that I used for that very purpose before I had someone extend my stock for me. Pm me your address and I'll post it if you don't have one,if I can find it. 

Just now, Mr.C said:

Stick one of those rubber jobbies on the stock with some packing in it to extend the lop. In fact I think I've got one that I used for that very purpose before I had someone extend my stock for me. Pm me your address and I'll post it if you don't have one,if I can find it. 

Very kind . Will do . But I have no idea what you are in about 

hello, that was my first spanish side by side, mine had a flat rib, as others mention try a rubber slip on and pack out till you just see the bead and the butt is snug in shoulder, i also found that using a hand grip in front of fore end gives you a better up and swing, i used the hand grip on all my side by sides, many years ago ,  theres a good book by Major Ruffer on the art of shooting, side by sides in general,

my advice, before you do anything else get it on a pattern plate and just check its shooting where you think it is 

i couldn't hit anything with my silenced beretta till i joined my wife on a lesson at Holland and Holland and within 5 mins ( after checking where my shot was going on a pattern plate) the instructor had fashioned a cheek riser out of tape and a cartridge box.... et viola i was hitting stuff. 

36 minutes ago, quentyn said:

my advice, before you do anything else get it on a pattern plate and just check its shooting where you think it is 

i couldn't hit anything with my silenced beretta till i joined my wife on a lesson at Holland and Holland and within 5 mins ( after checking where my shot was going on a pattern plate) the instructor had fashioned a cheek riser out of tape and a cartridge box.... et viola i was hitting stuff. 

Best advice.

Some idiot could have done some diy gunsmith work and it could be way off where it should be shooting.

Odd thing, this shooting lark, I have 2 SKB s x s guns, one with a semi pistol grip and one with a straight stock. In a side by side competion (no pun intended) with myself on the same clays, i shot better with the straight stock (that I am not familiar with) than the pistol grip stock that felt “normal “ maybe the answer above about flatter shooting was the reason, who knows?