4x4 for £2.5k

P90DLY

Hi all.

As title suggests i'm finally in the market for a 4x4, unfortunately i only have a small budget as currently squirreling money away for a house deposit.

what are peoples thoughts?

i have to travel 130miles to where i shoot so looking for something fairly reliable and efficient........... there does seem to be plenty of choice out there but cant beat others peoples experiences and opinions........

Thanks

Skate board?  🤪. Joking aside when buying an older 4x4 its a bit of a lottery. If where you shoot is a 260 mile round trip you really need to ask yourself 'Do I need a 4x4'. If you do think you need one I would advise to go rav4, x trail, terrano or Suzuki.  The bigger ones are thirsty and the LandRover offerings are just carp. If you don't mind fuel costs tho its Subaru all the way 👍

7 hours ago, hambone said:

Skate board?  🤪. Joking aside when buying an older 4x4 its a bit of a lottery. If where you shoot is a 260 mile round trip you really need to ask yourself 'Do I need a 4x4'. If you do think you need one I would advise to go rav4, x trail, terrano or Suzuki.  The bigger ones are thirsty and the LandRover offerings are just carp. If you don't mind fuel costs tho its Subaru all the way 👍

Cannot comment on X-Trail or Terrano, but I've had a Vitara and currently got an old 3 door RAV4 just for shooting and can fully recommend either for reliability and good off road ability. 

OB

Go Jap. I have had xtrails, Subaru, Suzuki and Mitsubishi. Best by far but thirsty was a suburb legacy. Changed that for an l200 as I needed ground clearance for serious off road work. At your budget you should get a decent model in any of the above. Watch for rust and avoid the Navarra that has a chassis problem in older models. I also agree avoid most land rovers discovery due to reliability issues although an old disco may be okay but thirsty. Has one of those too from new.

get a quad and garaged it at your permission cos 2.5k won't get you what your looking for unless you are lucky but if you still want a 4x4 take someone who knows what to look for even if you have to pay them lots of rubbish up for sale and all advertised as excellent examples .🤣

10 hours ago, hambone said:

Funny you should say that, the Subaru Forester is definitely a front runner at present, nice to hear you rate them. Do you have one?? If so, are there any things to look out for when/if buying one??

14 minutes ago, scutt said:

get a quad and garaged it at your permission cos 2.5k won't get you what your looking for unless you are lucky but if you still want a 4x4 take someone who knows what to look for even if you have to pay them lots of rubbish up for sale and all advertised as excellent examples .🤣

I’m hoping I’m lucky!! 🤞.......... is like to think that not “everyone” who’s selling a motor is a fraudster........ I mean, I don’t honestly think I could sell a car if I really knew it was wrecked. Totally agree about “lots of rubbish” though..... made some enquiries recently on a couple of motors and the more questions I begin to ask the more there stories seem to unravel and i run for the hills. 😂

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Go Jap. I have had xtrails, Subaru, Suzuki and Mitsubishi. Best by far but thirsty was a suburb legacy. Changed that for an l200 as I needed ground clearance for serious off road work. At your budget you should get a decent model in any of the above. Watch for rust and avoid the Navarra that has a chassis problem in older models. I also agree avoid most land rovers discovery due to reliability issues although an old disco may be okay but thirsty. Has one of those too from new.

Another vote for Subaru and xtrail.......... 👍

not that fussed about mpg...... what would you expect the Subaru to do around town and on a run?

9 hours ago, P90DLY said:

Funny you should say that, the Subaru Forester is definitely a front runner at present, nice to hear you rate them. Do you have one?? If so, are there any things to look out for when/if buying one??

Not had a Forester but have had 3 x legacy and all were good but as said above a bit thirsty 👍

53 minutes ago, tharsus said:

Have a 2 litre forester, as said very thirsty especially round town, mine is turning into a moneypit, new sump, wheelbearings, rear suspension, exhaust.

What age is your car?? How long have you owned it?? 

Is it just wesr and tear with long ownership or Are subura’s Just another bad buy with a small budget?? 😢 

I bought my 53 plate jeep Cherokee (liberty) 6 years ago with 52k for £2500. In that time I might have £1k in parts and maintenance. Mine is the 3.7 so fuel economy isn’t your friend (it will do 22-24 on the motorway with normal tires) but it runs and rides nice and is a useful size for shooting. I haven’t looked, but I bet you could get a good 2005 with 40k on the clock with leather around your budget. 

Rick

Have a look at the Kia Sorento, for £2500 you should find something quite reasonable. It was a comfy motor and off road was quite impressive with the correct tyres. Fuel wise i used to get 30mpg. Was very reliable as well over the 4 years i owned it it only needed a water pump, and the fuel tank (delamination of lining a common problem but fixed FOC by Kia.) In hindsight i wish i never sold it as it was a really useful workhorse.

On 21/09/2018 at 15:06, kingsy18 said:

suzuki grand vitara 1.6 petrol any good,06 plate with 57000 miles on clock,still using it at moment but thinking of putting up for sale.

could you send me some more details (e.g. service history/mot due date etc) and some photos please.......... would definitely consider.

It does depend what sort of 4x4 you need.

If its just for some slightly muddy tracks, a Subaru would work, but don't expect them to go where its really hardcore, because they can't (I am a previous Legacy and Forester owner).

L200, or Mitsubishi Warrior is probably your best bet, but you may have to up your budget.

You could try finding a shooting partner with a decent 4x4 and save your money.:)

2 hours ago, Cranfield said:

It does depend what sort of 4x4 you need.

If its just for some slightly muddy tracks, a Subaru would work, but don't expect them to go where its really hardcore, because they can't (I am a previous Legacy and Forester owner).

L200, or Mitsubishi Warrior is probably your best bet, but you may have to up your budget.

You could try finding a shooting partner with a decent 4x4 and save your money.:)

Think any land i shoot at present will be fairly accessable by a moderate 4x4

but.........

if you know of anyone looking for a shooting partner (with a decent 4x4, obviously 😉) im open to suggestions or introductions.......👍

Don't forget , if you buy from a dealer, to pay with a credit card (or even just a deposit) as this means your credit card company are equally liable if the car is a pup. Bought my Range Rover from a dealer and it developed a gearbox fault within weeks - the dealer simply refused to play ball so my credit card company paid to have her fixed.