The "Find Maddy Fund"

Gordon R

The Portuguese detective who said that the McCanns covered up Madeleine's disappearance was sued by the McCanns. Their success was subsequently overturned. Now the detective is suing the McCanns. It is reported, that if he succeeds, the damages and legal costs will be met from the fund, which is largely funded by the public.

I would be interested in views as to whether members think this is fine.

To nail my colours to the mast - I think it is wrong for the money raised to search for the girl, to be used for a court case. I can imagine that some say that the money should be spent on this as it distracts from the search and might put off future donors. My own view is that the McCanns started all the legal action and should live with the consequences, without resorting to other people's money. 

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

The Portuguese detective who said that the McCanns covered up Madeleine's disappearance was sued by the McCanns. Their success was subsequently overturned. Now the detective is suing the McCanns. It is reported, that if he succeeds, the damages and legal costs will be met from the fund, which is largely funded by the public.

To nail my colours to the mast - I think it is wrong for the money raised to search for the girl, to be used for a court case. I can imagine that some say that the money should be spent on this as it distracts from the search and might put off future donors. My own view is that the McCanns started all the legal action and should live with the consequences, without resorting to other people's money. 

Bang on the money Gordon IMO 👍

i have always thought the whole case around this poor kiddie stinks. 

Ready to be shot down in flames for this, but I personally think the McCanns should have been prosecuted in the first place, none of the money wasted on sending British Police should have been spent and any publicly donated monies should have been used for the pointless search, not court cases, legal costs and Damages!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

Totally agree, its their own  dealings that has resulted in the case they should foot the potential bill. Out of curiosity how old would Maddy be now? Cant be to many more years where the authorities will stop looking as she will be an adult. Tightchoke if it was any normal working couple and not Doctors i think along with most i have talked to they would have been prosecuted.

Edited by figgy

Aside from the Maddy funding issue, I thought they were very, very fortunate not to face prosecution. Whilst I support the Police, I would be a liar if I didn't worry about the continued Police funding. There always seems to be a lead worth following, in a nicer climate, which has produced zilch.

23 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Couldn't agree more.

I also think it a disgrace the detective is attempting to sue them for financial gain.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I agree. Neither of the parties come out of this well, but the McCanns started the legal action. If he gets a wedge, they will have themselves to blame.

Yes agreed.

Something just doesn't seem right about their story, I know none of us could know for shore either way, but it just doesn't sit right.

Edited by 12gauge82

A bit off topic here but interesting...

I’ve just read a book called “Chavs” which analyses how the working class has gone from “salt of the earth” to “scum of the earth” in terms of their depiction in the media and treatment in politics.

The book opens with a comparison of the media treatment of the McCanns versus that northern woman who’s daughter went missing and they found her drugged under the bed of a family member.

Long story short was that had the McCanns been working class and holidaying at Butlins they would’ve been accused of murder in every newspaper within 24 hours.

Was a very interesting chapter if you’re interested.

The rest of the book was a load of tosh, the author has a real chip on his shoulder and refuses to accept that the working class can do any wrong, the Country’s problems are solely down to the rich.

I really don't get it people go missing all the time and get no resource virtually spent on looking for them compared to this one, why millions and millions and millions on this case as sad as it is.  A case I might add that is entirely of the parents making, if they hadn't ******** off on the **** and left her on her own with two even younger siblings she wouldn't be missing (if you don't believe the conspiracy theories).   They should have been charged with neglect or abandonment or whatever the legal term is for leaving underage kids alone (in a foreign country!!)  

4 minutes ago, JRDS said:

I really don't get it people go missing all the time and get no resource virtually spent on looking for them compared to this one, why millions and millions and millions on this case as sad as it is.  A case I might add that is entirely of the parents making, if they hadn't ******** off on the **** and left her on her own with two even younger siblings she wouldn't be missing (if you don't believe the conspiracy theories).   They should have been charged with neglect or abandonment or whatever the legal term is for leaving underage kids alone (in a foreign country!!)  

This....more or less. 

15 hours ago, Munzy said:

A bit off topic here but interesting...

I’ve just read a book called “Chavs” which analyses how the working class has gone from “salt of the earth” to “scum of the earth” in terms of their depiction in the media and treatment in politics.

What he may have failed to grasp (I haven't read the book) is that an underclass has emerged, who (mostly) don't work at all. The 'chav' generation, shuffling around estates in their grey tracksuits, are not the modern working class. 

On 18/09/2018 at 09:59, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Ready to be shot down in flames for this, but I personally think the McCanns should have been prosecuted in the first place, none of the money wasted on sending British Police should have been spent and any publicly donated monies should have been used for the pointless search, not court cases, legal costs and Damages!

Spot on.  I have read and watched almost all of the stuff on this case and am in agreement with the Porugese Detective. Something very starnge went on here. A dog trained to detect traces on a body found a 'hit' on the bottom of the wardrobe in the parents bedroom. That is still not explained. Money donated by genuine concerned people to help find the body should not be used.  They broight all of this on themselves in the first place by aboandoning their kids, when a night watch service was available.

4 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

What he may have failed to grasp (I haven't read the book) is that an underclass has emerged, who (mostly) don't work at all. The 'chav' generation, shuffling around estates in their grey tracksuits, are not the modern working class. 

That is exactly what made it difficult to finish, I nearly ripped it up several times!

You’re absolutely right in your observation of there being an “underclass”, sadly Owen Jones doesn’t agree.

23 minutes ago, Munzy said:

That is exactly what made it difficult to finish, I nearly ripped it up several times!

You’re absolutely right in your observation of there being an “underclass”, sadly Owen Jones doesn’t agree.

Owen Jones doesnt agree with anyone unless you are Jeremy Corbyn.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Spot on.  I have read and watched almost all of the stuff on this case and am in agreement with the Portugese Detective. Something very strange went on here. A dog trained to detect traces on a body found a 'hit' on the bottom of the wardrobe in the parents bedroom. That is still not explained. Money donated by genuine concerned people to help find the body should not be used.  They brought all of this on themselves in the first place by abandoning their kids, when a night watch service was available.

Couldn't agree more mate ,way too many unanswered questions on this one, along with a horrible uneasy feeling about what actually did happen.

It strikes me that it must be incredibly difficult to conceal a body permanently in unfamiliar surroundings and hide what you've done from your friends with whom you're holidaying. The idea that the McCanns were responsibility for the presumed death their own daughter and disposal of her body seems pretty far fetched and I just don't buy it. But I do think they must carry a massive burden of guilt over leaving the children unattended and only checking on them periodically.

It seems the initial police operation relating to the crime scene was hopelessly incompetent and the local cops must know this. IMO lashing out at the McCanns was a form of blame transference because the huge media coverage meant they had to be seen to be doing something other than running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

It's all desperately sad but there are other equally sad cases that don't get the same level of attention. Perhaps that's why there's a degree of anti the McCanns attitude out there.