Opinion on Drilled Wheat and Barley

Naeem

Hi Fellows,

We are planning a shoot in Notinghamshire  in a couple of weeks time. The Farmers are going to drill Wheat and Barley and have invited us to keep an eye on the woodies. If anyone got any tips over these crops, then that would be much appreciated 🙂 

Not to disappoint you but not all drilled barley and wheat fields will produce enough pigeons to warrant a decoying session , our estate have been drilling for the last two days on last years rape fields , there is a very narrow window on drilled fields due to the efficiency of the drill , if I shoot any over the next few days it will most likely be the rape seed that have been disturbed rather than the new grain crop going in .

You will need to keep an eye on things as soon as the drill have left the field and shoot it when you think there is enough pigeons worthy of a go , if the land is ready for your farmer it will be ready for other farms as well and you will soon find , they are here one day and gone the next .

GOOD LUCK when you go .

As always with pigeon decoying, success relies on many factors coming together, mostly out of your control. Your job is to take advantage of the situations given. The biggest limiting factor will be birds using the fields. The drilled fields will have to be a big enough draw to lure the birds from the stubbles etc.

I would set up as normal. My set ups rarely change much, regardless of crop or time of year.