Payne Galway

wymberley

I think possibly the actual manufacturer has changed.  I have an old (brass) one from William Powell that is very tightly woven and good.  I wash it out occasionally (in a little either white spirit or petrol) and always store it in a close fitting piece of water pipe (18mm copper fits a 12 bore brush) that prevents it getting crushed.  I have had mine now for about 20 years and it is still used at least weekly.  Brass works just as well as phosphor bronze.

I bought a newer brass one (probably also from William Powell but not 100% sure) and it is a looser weave - and not as good.  I have a Beretta one that came with an (expensive) Beretta kit and it is poor by comparison.

I also use the fibre bristle ones to spread a smear of clean oil after the solvent cleaning.

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But surely that is a chamber brush rather than a barrel brush

No, it's a barrel brush.  It does touch (but not much more) the chamber walls, but cleans barrels beautifully.  The (similar looking) chamber brushes are larger diameter.  This fits (sliding fit) in 22mm copper pipe (inside diameter 20.4 mm) as shown.  Chambers are about 20.6 mm diameter.  Copper pipe both protects its shape and keeps the dirty oil from getting everywhere!

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

No, it's a barrel brush.  It does touch (but not much more) the chamber walls, but cleans barrels beautifully.  The (similar looking) chamber brushes are larger diameter.  This fits (sliding fit) in 22mm copper pipe (inside diameter 20.4 mm) as shown.  Chambers are about 20.6 mm diameter.  Copper pipe both protects its shape and keeps the dirty oil from getting everywhere!

Fair enough, I have a chamber brush as you describe. I also have some of the nylon brushes spare if you would like to try one.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fair enough, I have a chamber brush as you describe. I also have some of the nylon brushes spare if you would like to try one.

Thank you - I do have a nylon one (as pictured earlier in this thread) and also some fibre ones similar to the Payne Gallwey in my photo.  I do have a brass chamber brush in this type of pattern, but it is about 25 mm in diameter.  I think the nylon works better in modern chrome barrels (which clean very easily).  Older steel barrels seem to need a bit more scrub - and I also use fibre cartridges which may give more leading?

It's looking as though we've come to an end of an era. I fall into the category of John's last post so have taken a punt (delivery charge is steep) and ordered the 10 bore version. The napier site is the only place I could find these and as there is a full range apparently available have added a link. Will advise if the 10 bore over eggs the situation. I've been here before and have previously ordered the chamber version which is not up to the previous barrel version standard so fingers crossed.

https://www.napieruk.com/acatalog/Payne-Galway-Chamber-Brush--17.html

Edited by wymberley

These are the 'newer' pattern ones https://www.williampowell.com/gunroom/shooting-accessories/gun-care--cleaning/payne-galway-brass_gc214 which I don't think are as good as the one I photographed and is shown earlier in this thread.  These are less 'dense' and looks similar to the Beretta one I have.  I have a feeling that the GMK supplied ones used to be the dense type, but are now the less dense type (I note also that some sites list then at £11 or 12 showing pictures which look like the denser type, whereas others are about £7.50 and seem to show the less dense type; could this be the old and new types?)

These fibre ones https://www.williampowell.com/gunroom/shooting-accessories/gun-care--cleaning/payne-galway-bristle-brush-barrel-cleaner_gc215 are very good, but for oiling/light cleaning, not removing fouling.

Well, I think we've had it! I've just got the Napier 10 bore chamber (8 bore barrel) version. OK, I won't go as far as saying it slips through without touching the sides of my 12 bore, but you get my drift. Whereas the pictures supplied by John and TC are the real Turks' Heads, they're somewhat rare now-a-days and the name has often been applied to the Tornado style of brush. Fortunately, it seems Bore Tech do a phosphor bronze version of the Hoppes gunsmiths' steel one and which is available in the UK.

Edited by wymberley