parking tickets

hawkeye

Just received a parking ticket from Parking Eye i had a hospital appointment on the 6th 

it was getting close to my time and all the parking spaces were filled but there had been some building work going on and the had blocked a road off with  wire fencing. There was enough room for me to park on a single yellow line ( I an a blue badge holder) and not block any way in or out of the car park.

As i wasn't in a parking bay am i still libel to pay the fine if i had been in the car park as such then i would not have had this problem as i would have got and looked for a parking ticket machine..

The blue badge book says i can park up to 3hrs ( the builders have not worked in this area for months )

Do i pay this or not advice please..

I was a traffic warden for the council (not private) before my current job. If it was in a hospital and not highways controlled roads, those lines they paint can mean anything they want. As far as I remember only highways enforced lines are law, but on private land (so to speak), can mean ditto to blue badge holders or anyone. 

But parking out of bay, was a ticket to all unfortunately. 

It's easy to say this after, but get photo evidence yourself of why you did what you did, customise the shot in your favour as it works both ways. Fight it, its only the cost of a stamp, and sites like that Martin money fella have plenty of advice and if I remember a lot of templates you could use. 

Edited by strimmer_13

I wouldn't pay. At least, not without a fight. It sounds like it's a contractual parking charge notice. I would appeal (they have to tell you how to do this) citing your circumstances, blue badge etc. If this was private land (ie belonging to the hospital, not the local authority) then Parking Eye have no legal authority to actually "fine" you, merely to try and enforce a claim for breach of contract, showing that you would have seen a sign saying you couldn't park there, or couldn't so without payment, or whatever. 

Edited by stagboy

Parking Eye do take people to court and they have 6 years in which to do so, the main problem is if you move house they can get a default judgment against you. It’s a known scam and a pain in the *** to redress. In 2017 they issued 1788453 tickets but only went to court 1080 times but they do pile on the pressure with scary letters however you could be one of the unlucky ones and end up in court. 

http://www.parkingappeals.info/companydata/ParkingEye.html

Parking Eye tend more often that not to be POFA 2012 compliant meaning the registered keeper is liable regardless of admitting you were driving, however don’t admit to being the driver until you are sure its compliant. 

Try contacting PALS at the Hospital to get it cancelled that works in a lot of hospital cases.

Get yourself over to https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163 and read the newbie section to help.

I’ve sorted about £1000 worth of these out (non for me) and got them all quashed even at the letter before action stage from solicitors after repeated failed appeals and threat of court action.

Whatever you do don’t ignore, they do go to court and it’s the luck of the draw whether that will be you or not, but put up a well-researched defence they tend to go away and try to pick on the people who ignore or shoot themselves it the foot.

I got a £60 ticket from parking eye for overstaying by 15 minutes at their car park in Tintagel. The machines didn't allow to pay by phone so I had to go into the town to get change and come back to buy a ticket, but the cameras record when you actually arrive and leave and you had to enter your reg number on the pay and display machine! Seems a bit overkill to be honest but I guess they make a mint out of tourists! 

I have to say I ended up just paying as the hassle of trying to fight it seemed like it would cost me more than £60 in effort and I didn't really have a leg to stand on to be honest.

I have had 'tickets' from three of these parking companies.

I paid one because despite getting the colour of my car wrong (!) on the ticket ...... I was in fact guilty and the (black and white) photo did show my car (inc. registration)

One of the others was an error as I had a permit from a hotel where I was staying - and the hotel had incorrectly recorded my registration number mixing a capital letter 'O' with a numeral '0".  I got the hotel to get that cancelled as their records were correct, but what they had entered on the permit was unclear.

The final one was a complete scam; the parking company claimed I had exceeded two hours whereas I was only there (and had witnesses) for about 20 minutes.  I refused to pay as I had not broken their 'contract' and it went on for nearly 2 years with (completely false) threats from bailiffs (who when I investigated had the same registered address as the parking company and appeared not to exist in any more than name - and I suspect weren't legit bailiffs at all) making forced entries and taking 'goods to the value' when there was never a court judgement.  Eventually they gave up (it was many years ago now).  At that time, they didn't usually (if ever) go to court and I knew they couldn't prove their case as it was false, but I understand times have changed.

Unfortunately these companies are out to make money (and I suspect some of their 'operatives' get paid partly by results), and do it by using 'bully and scare tactics'.  In my case - letters written explaining the true situation were simply ignored.

28 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Parking eye not the nicest company to deal with, for £60 just pay it, you would have been better off just getting a ticket regardless if you were in a bay or not then you would have had a far far stronger case.

7 minutes ago, simonm said:

I got a £60 ticket from parking eye for overstaying by 15 minutes at their car park in Tintagel. The machines didn't allow to pay by phone so I had to go into the town to get change and come back to buy a ticket, but the cameras record when you actually arrive and leave and you had to enter your reg number on the pay and display machine! Seems a bit overkill to be honest but I guess they make a mint out of tourists! 

I have to say I ended up just paying as the hassle of trying to fight it seemed like it would cost me more than £60 in effort and I didn't really have a leg to stand on to be honest.

So rather than address a company that are perfectly legal but morally unsound, you both would just send off the money?

Glad I stood up to them a couple of years ago then.

Fight it for the cost of a stamp or an e mail.

Get a letter or e mail off to PALS and one to the chief exec.(important)

You need to include details of your appointment and details of your blue badge and car.

Also make the point of the cost to the nhs of not showing up for an appointment.Stating that there were no spaces but as you were on the site and struggling to park you did not want to miss your appointment even though you had left yourself enough time.mention any mobility issues you have and if you had been waiting a long time for the appointment to come through.

Good luck

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So rather than address a company that are perfectly legal but morally unsound, you both would just send off the money?

Glad I stood up to them a couple of years ago then.

Every car park I have used that is run by Parking Eye it operates by means of cameras once you enter the car park it takes your number  plate same as when you leave, if he purchased a ticket we would not be reading this post now, regardless of blue badge or parking bays.

Edited by blackbird

18 minutes ago, PPP said:

Write a letter ‘enclosing’ cash and send recorded signed for delivery, don’t enclose cash, when challenged say it was included hence signed for delivery so they must have received it, can’t prove a negative...

Being deliberately dishonest is not the right answer.

5 minutes ago, PPP said:

Write a letter ‘enclosing’ cash and send recorded signed for delivery, don’t enclose cash, when challenged say it was included hence signed for delivery so they must have received it, can’t prove a negative...

Good move that , I would have tried that if my mind thought the same as yours , We went to Cromer one day and parked on Morrisons which I believe was 2 1/2hrs free parking , when we came off the pier my wife said we will have fish and chips rather than do a tea when we got home , I said you wait in the q and I will go and get the motor and pick you up , when I got back she was one from the front of the q so I went in Budgens car park for five minutes until she came out of the fish shop , we then went down the road and parked on the sea front.

Three week later I got a Brown envelope with a photo of the front and the back of my motor and a demand for £60 , I complained but it didn't make any difference , I had to grin and bear it and cough up.

The fish and chips were nice , but not worth nearly £70 :no:

Got dinked in an IBIS car park back in July on the Derby services. Trouble is mines a company car so the company have a policy of sort and prove you have sorted it or else. I have no memory of seeing the "clearly visible signs" saying it was IBIS parking. However a trip to Derby to check the signage is nearly as expensive for me in fuel as paying.

Feel a letter to IBIS coming on about their contractor and me never using their hotels again. 

Edited by Zetter

Feel your pain. Took dad to the Freeman Hospital for a consultation on an op, main car park was full so I found a disabled parking bay in the prosthetic dept car park. Put the badge up, gets dad into his wheel chair and took him for the appointment. Mum gets a letter through the door and it's a parking fine? Apparently the prosthetic dept has their own parking area "even though the same hospital" and even pointing out dad is in a wheelchair they didn't care! The only other option was to park nearly a half mile away and push him uphill from the dene. 

Just been had by UKPC for the same "offence" - I had run out of a heart tablet and my Pharmacist kindly bought some to a local (Milton Keynes) Hospital for me to collect - nowhere to Park apart from a drop off space and that cost me £40 despite appealing and displaying my Blue Badge. Threatened to cause a ruckus at the Governors meeting and tried appealing to just about everyone I could speak to at the Hospital but nobody seems to care - PALS were a waste of time. In the end I just paid - but you might want to check in case there's another occasion - most Hospitals allow you to park in a normal, i.e.non Disabled, space anywhere on site for free you just need to have your parking ticket validated by whoever is in charge of Parking.