Benelli M2 issue

mrpip

Hello all

I recently bought a second hand Benelli M2 comfortech 26 inch in camo which was from a private seller who came over as a very genuine guy, he bought the gun in January this year from a gun shop which had took it in part exchange. The gun is spotless in as new condition with no signs of wear, case chokes etc 3 of the chokes had never been used, all in all I am very pleased with it. I have used it on 4 outings on pigeon firing approximately 250 Hull 32 gram steel game cartridges total. On 2 separate days probably after about 30 shots with the gun fully loaded, fired the first shot, cartridge ejected, second cart self loaded into the breech, but the 3rd cart released from the magazine and sat in the carrier. I unloaded the gun then reloaded working perfect again, have any of you come across this before. As I say it's not a recurring problem, I have not tried any other cartridges as I have only got steel as I have no market for lead shot pigeons. Paul

What was your gun mounting like when you took these few shots that caused the problem? Might sound a daft question, but recoil operated systems like the Benelli require a certain amount of resistance to the recoil of the gun provided by the shooter. If due to the shot, the butt was not resting in your shoulder then it could be the problem.

It’ll be the cartridge latch that releases the carts from the magazine. 

It’ll need tweaking outward (away from the receiver wall) so that it holds the carts in the magazine. 

Due to stiff loadingin the M2, a lot of people tweak the latch to make inserting carts into the magazine easier as from the factory they can be stiff to load. If you tweak em too far it’ll release carts at the wrong time or too many at once.

ask me how i know.........

52 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

What was your gun mounting like when you took these few shots that caused the problem? Might sound a daft question, but recoil operated systems like the Benelli require a certain amount of resistance to the recoil of the gun provided by the shooter. If due to the shot, the butt was not resting in your shoulder then it could be the problem.

To be honest I don't know, 99% of my shooting is from the hide, up at last second & shoot, can,t give you a definite answer to that one

32 minutes ago, a303 said:

It’ll be the cartridge latch that releases the carts from the magazine. 

It’ll need tweaking outward (away from the receiver wall) so that it holds the carts in the magazine. 

Due to stiff loadingin the M2, a lot of people tweak the latch to make inserting carts into the magazine easier as from the factory they can be stiff to load. If you tweak em too far it’ll release carts at the wrong time or too many at once.

ask me how i know.........

That sounds like it could be it, just thought on, when collecting the empties found one with a small rip in the brass rim. 

Can I suggest something before you start taking parts out or contacting GMK with issues. Try some Italian cartridges, 3 or 4 boxes of RC or Fiocchi (but preferably RC).

There is something about Gamebore and Hull cartridges that just don’t work in Benellis (certainly in the 4 I have owned). Personally I think it is something to to with the plastic compound or size of the case. It causes shells to ‘hang’ in the chamber after firing a bit too long and this is VERY unhelpful for an inertia operated system. 

If you still get the problem with the RCs then I would suggest it is as suggested above a mag release gate issue. If not your gun is just another one that is sensitive to shells. For your info this is from using them in PSG where you fire a LOT so shells in rapid succession and system failure isn’t really an option. 

47 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

Can I suggest something before you start taking parts out or contacting GMK with issues. Try some Italian cartridges, 3 or 4 boxes of RC or Fiocchi (but preferably RC).

There is something about Gamebore and Hull cartridges that just don’t work in Benellis (certainly in the 4 I have owned). Personally I think it is something to to with the plastic compound or size of the case. It causes shells to ‘hang’ in the chamber after firing a bit too long and this is VERY unhelpful for an inertia operated system. 

If you still get the problem with the RCs then I would suggest it is as suggested above a mag release gate issue. If not your gun is just another one that is sensitive to shells. For your info this is from using them in PSG where you fire a LOT so shells in rapid succession and system failure isn’t really an option. 

Have you got a local stockists of RCs , I,m not to far from Lincoln, I use Hull because they have been working out the cheapest around me. By the time you put delivery on I can usually pick them up cheaper than justcartridges

1 hour ago, mrpip said:

Have you got a local stockists of RCs , I,m not to far from Lincoln, I use Hull because they have been working out the cheapest around me. By the time you put delivery on I can usually pick them up cheaper than justcartridges

I would suggest the latch issue, I have owned all popular models of benelli and never had an issue with hull cartridges, a few of the franchi semi autos have feed issues and it’s been the shell latch every time 

I ended up with Rios in my 20b Córdoba after it was failing to eject and cycle properly. Tried several other makes on recommendation (Yeah, stick those through it, they’ll work!) including RC’s but it was only the Rios that consistently worked, including the 24grm.

I bought it as an almost new secondhand...... when I subsequently spoke to GMK about the problem, it turned out it had already been back to them for exactly that.  So much for the honesty and integrity of the well-known dealer in off loading a gun ... I’d driven 150miles to collect and wasn’t about to make the return trip. Cheesed me right off.

On the other hand...my M2 Comfortec 12b has dealt with anything I’ve put through it.

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

55 minutes ago, Salmo said:

I’ve never had issues with mine , love it . Cycles 53g mags and 28g clay stuff . Was going to upgrade but GMK said no new model of M2 coming soon ...... now that tells its own story 

Indeed. They have reintroduced the M1 Super 90, or so my RFD keeps telling me, as he hasn’t delivered it so far! 

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:01, The Burpster said:

Spot on anything but Hull.

11 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

I bought a second hand M2 a couple of years ago. Its never failed to cycle on anything, I do suspect the previous owner had put a fair amount of cartridges through it in the past though. Its well worn in. 

I had a Stoeger M2000 years ago - absolute scrap. Just shows, sometimes you get a good one. 

It did again yesterday using the same hull 32 g steel twice in 38 shots. It still looks brand new , you cannot see any signs of wear on it, not had chance to try any other cartridges yet. 

1 minute ago, mrpip said:

It did again yesterday using the same hull 32 g steel twice in 38 shots. It still looks brand new , you cannot see any signs of wear on it, not had chance to try any other cartridges yet. 

Its a shame, as these things get in to your head. Trust me, I ended up giving the Stoeger away. 

It probably just needs a good hammering with heavy cartridges.,

3 hours ago, Exudate said:

I had this with my M2. Bought it brand new and had the problem you're describing. Sent it back to GMK and something was out of tolerance and had to be replaced. Never missed a heartbeat since. Send it back to GMK, that's what the warranty is for.

Do any of you know if the warranty is still valid with the gun being 3rd hand, also it looks like new but I don,t know when it was manufactured, I got all the books etc with it, but not the original date it was purchased. In hindsight with little use and me being the 3rd owner brings to mind the phrase buyer beware. I will ring GMK  and ask the question. 

24 minutes ago, mrpip said:

Rang GMK today, turns out the gun was imported in 2015 so still under warranty, they have told me to take it tho my local gun shop who have an account with them and they will arrange collection for a repair all free of charge.

Good result, TBF I know some have whinged about GMK on here and other forums but i have found them to be courteous, knowledgeable and obliging (on the few occasions I have needed them, bearing in mind apart from a Howa and Sig all my guns are under their umbrella).