FAC wording

Harry136

Hi, when I had my interview with the FEO, he stated that I would need to send in proof of a couple of supervised deer stalks and send the evidence with my FAC into the licencing department so that the condition could be added. I have read my FAC and it states :-

"The firearm(s) and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin, foxes and ANY OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY SUITABLE FOR THAT CALIBRE and for zeroing on practice ranges, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

Clearly its a closed ticket, but my question is, judging by the wording on the FAC I don't have to provide proof of a supervised stalk to have deer added as a condition as it comes under AOLQ?

I'm with West Yorkshire if that helps.

For some reason the AOLQ thing seems to indicate that you can shoot anything within reason but not as a primary use of the rifle. For example, if you were granted a .223 to shoot foxes with, you wouldn’t be breaking the law if you happened to be out and shot a rabbit with it, but it’s not been granted specifically as a bunny gun. Likewise you might be out with a 22lr after rabbits and a close range fox could be a suitable target but it’s unlikely that they’d grant a 22lr purely for doing so.

Whether or not it gives you the legal right to shoot deer, subject to calibre and permission, is an area I’m not qualified to comment on but if you’re already going on the stalks then it doesn’t sound as if you have much work to actually do so just play their game and end up with the conditions you want.

Aolq is on there and if you're using a 243 or above then the condition is deer are legal as stated above. If they ask again politely tell them that aolq allows you to shoot legally with that calibre. I have a 243 for Deer and alq, they wont ask me to tell them each time I shoot a fox woth it, so why should you have to prove youve gone stalking? With a legal calibre.