ANY INFO ON THIS PROBLEM?? , I/R WHITE OUT ???

oldypigeonpopper

hello, as above, ok i have just changed my day scope back to my MK 1 PHOTON on the 455 L/R and last year used a T torch with a stand I/R pil and worked ok out to 100 yards, but decided to go for the up grade TR torch and AS I/R pil so last night tried out and it just blanked a white screen even on low power as its 3 mode, i put the torch on side rail, any ideas to over come this problem, is the AS pil to much for the photon, ???? all help appreciated, cheers

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, ok i have just changed my day scope back to my MK 1 PHOTON on the 455 L/R and last year used a T torch with a stand I/R pil and worked ok out to 100 yards, but decided to go for the up grade TR torch and AS I/R pil so last night tried out and it just blanked a white screen even on low power as its 3 mode, i put the torch on side rail, any ideas to over come this problem, is the AS pil to much for the photon, ???? all help appreciated, cheers

just to update, contacted Andy at ludicrous lumins and he gave me some information that should help, if anyone has a TR and with the AS pil and has same problem he suggested to turn the pil reflector around will improve beam and avoid white out, will try out this evening, cheers

If you’re using the side rail on the side of the scope’s camera housing then it’s likely the halo from the torch is hitting your moderator and reflecting into the scope which the camera can’t cope with.

One way of testing for this is to put 2 fingers across the bottom of the objective, if your picture improves then that’s definitely what’s happening... replacing fingers with insulating tape is an old well-established fix on most nv.

That side rail is about as much use as a box of frogs for mounting a torch as you’ve found..... I use one these pic rail rings...(not necessarily that one, plenty of choice out there..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scope-Barrel-Mount-25-4mm-30mm-Ring-Adapter-w-21mm-Weaver-Picatinny-Rail-G-Eu/273213431698?hash=item3f9cca1f92:g:MNEAAOSwZ8ZW4Fg9

in conjunction with one of these...bought 4 recently and they’re pretty good...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-4mm-offset-Ring-45-Degree-Weaver-Picatinny-Mount-for-Torch-Flashlight-Laser/273012657533?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I fit the pic rail backwards over the rear scope ring to get it as far back as possible so the moderator is in the shadow of the camera housing and objective lens...the torch might need shimming in the offset ring to get it to point parallel with your line of sight. The scope ring is positioned so the torch ends up at about the 2 o’clock position...getting it that far back also gives you more room for the head of the torch.

Hopefully, that should sort your whiteout problem in conjuction with the 2 finger tape if necessary.

cheers

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop
Extras

6 minutes ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

If you’re using the side rail on the side of the scope’s camera housing then it’s likely the halo from the torch is hitting your moderator and reflecting into the scope which the camera can’t cope with.

One way of testing for this is to put 2 fingers across the bottom of the objective, if your picture improves then that’s definitely what’s happening... replacing fingers with insulating tape is an old well-established fix on most nv.

That side rail is about as much use as a box of frogs for mounting a torch as you’ve found..... I use one these pic rail rings...(not necessarily that one, plenty of choice out there..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scope-Barrel-Mount-25-4mm-30mm-Ring-Adapter-w-21mm-Weaver-Picatinny-Rail-G-Eu/273213431698?hash=item3f9cca1f92:g:MNEAAOSwZ8ZW4Fg9

in conjunction with one of these...bought 4 recently and they’re pretty good...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-4mm-offset-Ring-45-Degree-Weaver-Picatinny-Mount-for-Torch-Flashlight-Laser/273012657533?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I fit the pic rail backwards over the rear scope ring to get it as far back as possible so the moderator is in the shadow of the camera housing and objective lens...the torch might need shimming in the offset ring to get it to point parallel with your line of sight. The scope ring is positioned so the torch ends up at about the 2 o’clock position...getting it that far back also gives you more room for the head of the torch.

Hopefully, that should sort your whiteout problem in conjuction with the 2 finger tape if necessary.

cheers

Fizz

hello, many thanks to reply, i made contact with andy at Ludicrous lumins and he suggested to unscrew pil deflector and reverse, so will try tonight, also will use a figure 8 clamp rather than fixing on photon, will also try out that tape, cheers for reply,