Cheers Hurricane Ali

kippylawkid

I called off my lad's football training last night as Hurricane Ali was uprooting trees all over Northumberland, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to head out about 5pm. There's something special about being out in a storm. I thought I'd get a shot or 2 on a known flightline between a holding wood and a wheat stubble. The winds were exceptionally strong and were funnelling the birds directly along a dip in the land with a stream in the bottom, so I hid myself in there and waited. I was straight into action as 2 pigeons seemed to be stationary above me and I had them both down. I then had 2 hours of exhilarating sport. It ranged from fairly easy birds hedge hopping along the stream into the wind, to absolute screamers going with the wind to the stubble. These were similar what I would imagine driven grouse to be. I often just had to laugh as they were far too good for me, but I did manage to hit a good few. I had to dash back to the jeep for cartridges after an hour as I had only expected the odd shot. Stan my lab worked his socks off to pick 47.We had a proper mooch about tonight which resulted in a further 5 picked. Not the biggest bag but one that I hope I don't forget for a long time.

On 20/09/2018 at 22:03, kippylawkid said:

I called off my lad's football training last night as Hurricane Ali was uprooting trees all over Northumberland, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to head out about 5pm. There's something special about being out in a storm. I thought I'd get a shot or 2 on a known flightline between a holding wood and a wheat stubble. The winds were exceptionally strong and were funnelling the birds directly along a dip in the land with a stream in the bottom, so I hid myself in there and waited. I was straight into action as 2 pigeons seemed to be stationary above me and I had them both down. I then had 2 hours of exhilarating sport. It ranged from fairly easy birds hedge hopping along the stream into the wind, to absolute screamers going with the wind to the stubble. These were similar what I would imagine driven grouse to be. I often just had to laugh as they were far too good for me, but I did manage to hit a good few. I had to dash back to the jeep for cartridges after an hour as I had only expected the odd shot. Stan my lab worked his socks off to pick 47.We had a proper mooch about tonight which resulted in a further 5 picked. Not the biggest bag but one that I hope I don't forget for a long time.

Blue Grouse I call them!