One step forward and then two back

rovercoupe

So some will remember my lathe rebuild and how it has gone quiet, well in the background I got it working and have been working through the issues and today got round to getting the auto feed sorted which involved making up a new mount for the gears and got it all made in a day and turned it on to test and it instantly snapped a tooth on the tumbler gear which in turn jammed and broke the tooth on the other gear and then sheared two teeth off the output gear. 

Its shanked proper shanked. Time to attempt to weld and re cut the gears tomorrow instead of starting the backlog of projects.

I cannot even put pictures up its that bad!

So I have taken off the gears this morning and cleaned them up and low and behold there have been numerous repairs on them before and the re cut teeth are interesting to say the least so it looks like one of the bad teeth did not mest with the others and the weakest ones went bang. Least I know which ever way this goes the gears were shot before I vandalised them so have just broke out the mig and welded up some new teeth, I doubt they will hold but its worth a try.

image.jpeg

I have done one of the gears and on with the second one, its going on whilst I re build the front end of my 4x4 and this nice weather keeps getting in the way of finishing this.

The meshing is fine on the one I have re cut but some of the original repaired ones are binding so will have to look at them too.

15 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

I have done one of the gears and on with the second one, its going on whilst I re build the front end of my 4x4 and this nice weather keeps getting in the way of finishing this.

The meshing is fine on the one I have re cut but some of the original repaired ones are binding so will have to look at them too.

to get the final meshing ...will you run it with fine grinding paste on it...then clean it off ?

Right soooo been fed up with a hanging cold the last few days so today finally felt like I neded to get out the house so ventured into the garage and gave it another go and kind of messed up one of the teeth but finished it anyway and meshed the two gears together and they felt like rubbish, if the two gears were in good condition apart from the snapped teeth it would probably work ok but given the other repairs and wear it feels like they will bind and cause more damage. 

On the plus side I have been on the computer most of the day and been doing some research and if i risk it it looks like I can get some mod 2 gears from china for under a fiver each so I might have spend a few more pounds and just buy some new gears.