Are we in for a bad winter this year?

rovercoupe

I might have been left alone for too long but the feeders are being left by the squirrels instead they are harvesting nuts off the trees like they are on speed. This is the first year they have turned down a free easy feed. Normally I will be shooting them in good numbers right untill the weather changes and then the numbers drop off. Last year was a good year for the nut trees and the squirrels still came to the feeders to get fat!

So this got me thinking are they stashing nuts like the worlds about to end because a cold harsh winter is on the way? 

14 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

I might have been left alone for too long but the feeders are being left by the squirrels instead they are harvesting nuts off the trees like they are on speed. This is the first year they have turned down a free easy feed. Normally I will be shooting them in good numbers right untill the weather changes and then the numbers drop off. Last year was a good year for the nut trees and the squirrels still came to the feeders to get fat!

So this got me thinking are they stashing nuts like the worlds about to end because a cold harsh winter is on the way? 

I think it's just due to a glut in fruits due to the weather this year and the stress plants and trees were put under. Procreation is the answer to environmental stress in many cases.

28 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

If the met office with all of their supercomputers can't call it, not sure nutkin can?

Just stashing the excess as evolution dictates.

1 hour ago, rovercoupe said:

Usually gas and electricity prices rise before a cold winter - then rise again afterwards.  Just saying.

1 hour ago, rovercoupe said:

Sorry I thought you were talking about ..... FUEL PRICES.

It just stands to reason. The UK has X amount of rain fall annually. If that rain hasn’t fallen over the summer then logically it’s got to fall later on in the year. Personally I hope I’m wrong, a cold dry winter suits me a hell of a lot better than pouring rain! Once you’re wet you’re wet all day whereas you can chuck extra layers on to keep warm in the cold. 

Yes the weather will be inclement between November and April and we will manage as we do every year.

I will continue to shoot at every opportunity as l do during the spring, summer and autumn, be it clays, pigeon or vermin.

And my dear wife will want 24/7 heating on as per usual, nothing will change except the heating bill. 😱

1976 heat wave was followed by heavy rain and snow which turned fields into swamps in January with tractors up to their cabs trying to work fields, so would not be a bit surprised if we get the same this time. I have had three maybe four season shooting without a wet day. My first day this year on 11th Sept was wet, so is that an omen?

7 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

If I was you mate I would invest in a Crystal ball, as only last week a met office spokesman was being interviewed & they can only accurately predict the weather for three/four days tops in advance. When you read we are in for a hard winter/warmest summer is bull ****.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

1976 heat wave was followed by heavy rain and snow which turned fields into swamps in January with tractors up to their cabs trying to work fields, so would not be a bit surprised if we get the same this time. I have had three maybe four season shooting without a wet day. My first day this year on 11th Sept was wet, so is that an omen?

Edited by blackbird

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

I've got a longleaf pine cone outside my kitchen window, thats says it's not raining but windy.

The windows dry and the cone's swinging.  

I will keep you all informed about what it's doing this winter a little later in the year. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Cough cough. 

Crystal ball. 

I've got a snow shovel ready just in case. And plenty of logs too. 

Great minds and all that,

nice one John,

who gives a monkey 's chuff lol

we live in Britain , and deal with it

yawwwwwwwn, time for a dram , whilst sat outside my man den,

ps, it's raining, oh yeah it does that around this time of year lol lol lol

flynny

Edited by flynny