Turkey killing cone.

Benthejockey

Every year since time began we’ve killed varying numbers of turkeys. At our own peak I can remember doing 35 turkeys 20 chickens and 10 geese. That was a long cold day! Anyway chief slaughterman was my grandad who slowly over the years got less and less able to do the killing and spent more time having a smoke whilst I did the killing. Even up until last xmas when he was doing his best to die he still demanded my gran brought him over to help kill a few! Fortunately for the poor old ****** he finally keeled over this spring and didn’t have to suffer on any more. But that now leaves me able to do things how I want them! So first things first I need a killing cone. I fancy a tripod design like this one on the Sedgbeer website. But I really don’t like the £255 + VAT price tag! 

http://www.sedgbeer.co.uk/products/tripod-killing-cone-stand/41/

now I know the PW craftsmen will be able to knock something like this up in their coffee break but my technical skill runs out with anything much past the use of big nails. So gentlemen is there anyone that could fashion me something like this cheaply? I’m happy to pay for materials, labour and postage unless you’re localish and I can come and collect it. So who can help?

Distance isn’t really a problem, I track round the country a fair bit going racing - Tuesday I get to enjoy the trip across to Chelmsford racecourse. And if I can’t get a quick google found it would be about £30 to get something of similar dimensions and 15kg couriered, and that’s fully assembled. What I had in mind might be something that could be bolted together which would make the courierable package even more compact. And I can’t imagine it would weigh 15kg. 

Why do they need killing like this? Do they need to be bled? With my chicks i just put a pellet in the brain but they go for fox bait. 

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

when i killed and plucked turkeys we used a fan belt...........hang bird by feet to beam...fanbelt over neck....hold head....step into fanbelt

flap flap flap ...jobs a gooden..

Sound like another sensible solution. 

Yeah they have the be bled and some of them have in the past got pretty sizeable so to restrain them and prevent them bruising themselves when they’re in their death throws the killing cone is the easiest thing. My personal record was a 30lb free range bird, I’ve still got the scar where he clawed me objecting to going in the cone. 

Ben, if you do not require it in stainless and happy to give it a few coats of paint yourself I can see no problems. I am just off the M42/A444 junction.  Just give me the dimensions you need.

I can run up a mild steel tripod and roll a cone and finding the steel box section from Mid Steels Off Cuts section it should not be at huge expense. I have some 1/8th by 2 inch stuff I can make the ring from in my scrap pile.  Suggest make the ring weld on some  12mm box stubs 4 inches long and then the legs can slide on and a bolt through job done.

I just need some measurements.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Why do they need killing like this? Do they need to be bled? With my chicks i just put a pellet in the brain but they go for fox bait. 

Sound like another sensible solution. 

the reason is they need to be bled...BUT not to draw blood............all the blood drains into the neck but dosnt see the light of day ...otherwise bugs might get in as they need to be hung in a cold room for a while..............

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Not sure you would get a good sized turkey in a traffic cone.  It would be possible to make a couple of cones different sizes, turkeys/geese and chickens/cappons/ducks.

Not rocket science.

you could design "the ACME expandable killing cone"...fits everything...recomended by ISIS...IRA....Black september group...............just the thing for the man about town...

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Not sure you would get a good sized turkey in a traffic cone.  It would be possible to make a couple of cones different sizes, turkeys/geese and chickens/cappons/ducks.

Not rocket science.

A cone is a cone traffic cone comes in many sises 

you only need to get its head through and tight enough to stop the wings flapping 

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you could design "the ACME expandable killing cone"...fits everything...recomended by ISIS...IRA....Black september group...............just the thing for the man about town...

Love it..brilliant idea. I have the drawing board all ready:good:

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

A cone is a cone traffic cone comes in many sises 

you only need to get its head through and tight enough to stop the wings flapping 

Now where would I find a traffic cone ?