Kofs.

Ultrastu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock pad is to get the gun from 13 inch up to 13.75 .in a simple solution and also be removeable for when my boy starts shooting. 

Do you have any tips on how to stop the gun muzzle from flipping up (i presume ) and the comb hitting my cheek 

It does it if i have a firm cheek weld or loose. 

Though the correct line of sight is more of a head down position .

My presumption is that the light weight of the gun and short 26 inch barrels combined with heavy loads are making the barrels excessively flip upwards meaning the comb also comes upwards into my cheek . Instead of the recoil being more linear  and moving stsright backwards into the shoulder. 

Im also wondering if the pad on the butt is too soft alowing extra movement. ? 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

My presumption is that the light weight of the gun and short 26 inch barrels combined with heavy loads are making the barrels excessively flip upwards meaning the comb also comes upwards into my cheek . Instead of the recoil being more linear  and moving stsright backwards into the shoulder. 

Im also wondering if the pad on the butt is too soft alowing extra movement. ? 

The first thing I would do is stop putting 32gm loads through a 20.

I imagine you only had a few shots, so the gun must be a really poor fit to hurt your face.

I had about 50 

With some pattern testing first 

And yes 32 grm is too much for such a light gun 

I shoot  20b .32 grm loads through my mossy hushpower  .but that weighs a ton .and that has a shorter lop than the ou .but i dont get any cheek slap from that ...

I think i will look for some 25 grm loads and a soft neoprene  cheek pad .

Ive just watched a slow mo vid of shotguns .and there clearly shows what is a 20b sxs  and as the shot goes .the barrels jump upwards and you see the guy get hit on the cheek by the comb.

In comparison the shot before is a heavy trap 12b and the barrels dont lift up at all .all the recoil is straight backwards into the shoulder .as a result the guy hardley blinks at the shot ..

It think this confirms what i thought and what motty said .i need a lighter load in this short light gun .

Thanks everybody. 

18 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Ive just watched a slow mo vid of shotguns .and there clearly shows what is a 20b sxs  and as the shot goes .the barrels jump upwards and you see the guy get hit on the cheek by the comb.

In comparison the shot before is a heavy trap 12b and the barrels dont lift up at all .all the recoil is straight backwards into the shoulder .as a result the guy hardley blinks at the shot ..

It think this confirms what i thought and what motty said .i need a lighter load in this short light gun .

Thanks everybody. 

Are you trying to compare a over and under trap gun shot pre mounted shooting at a going away lowish clay

to a side by side shooting at?? Were they shot by the same person were the stock dimensions the same? 

Sorry but it sounds to me like you’re in denial 

shooting a gun that jumps around enough to bruise your face is uncomfortable and painful not to mention dangerous 

go and get some lesson from a pro and then have it fitted properly 

all the best 

of 

Been following this and two points perhaps. See if you can swap the No 6s for 7s if it's still pigeon you're after as the pellet count might prove advantageous.

Bristol! If you haven't spent all your dosh buying the gun, Jump in the car and whizz down the M5 coming off at J26 (it's easier than 25) and have a chat with either Brian or Dennis at you probably know where. It'll save you time, dosh and heartache - not to mention a bruised face - in the end.

Thanks for all the advice .and i must admit .i do fancy doing a bit more clay busting .so practice and lessons wouldnt go amiss .

I really do think people are underestimating how light and short this gun is 5.6 pounds .

My other 2 shot guns have lop that are the same or shorter and i have no issues with them .

I might temporarily add some extra weight to the muzzle. See if that makes a difference. If it does my suspicions  will have been confirmed. 

Thanks again .

Just  had a quick shoot with the stock sleave  on and with the 24 grm carts .

Much much better .

Its still a jumpy gun but much improved to how it feels .

To add .i taped 100 grm ish weight  to the muzzle and fired a couple of 32 grm carts the muzzles didnt jump up as much (as expected ) and the 24 grm ones were better again .

So that confirms that .

So all in im pleased .

24 grm load and a bit of padding and we are back in the game .

CHEERS 

Just now, welshwarrior said:

And have they got the same stock shape grip shape and do they weight the same if not then your comparing Apple and oranges 

I keep saying they weigh different .😥

On 23/09/2018 at 22:03, Ultrastu said:

Well managed to get out with the new ou. today .set up for 2 hours on the bean stubble .did ok .the gun shoots where im looking but does have a tendancy to hit me in the face and hurt my right cheek 

I guess this is because the gun is so light at 5.6 pounds. 

IMG_20180923_220026.jpg

I was using 28 .30 and 32 grm carts 

I know that feeling! i had an ATA alloy receiver 12g with 26" barrels. lovely gun that balanced well and was easy to carry. great for a walkabout where I might get a dozen shots. I took it clay shooting and just managed to finish the 50 clays- bruised shoulder and cheek only using 28gram load. loved the gun but traded it in. I wonder if the dealer still has it........

So please tell .When the gun doesnt fit and slaps the face . But hits the target and you dont feel like your having to alter the head or reach etc .which bit of the fit is wrong ? 

Im genuinely  interested as im keen to learn .

Could you describe the elements that are incorrect .please .as I could have missed something on my new gun .

There could be several elements at work, such as cast, drop from heel to toe in relation to the sight plane, or something else which causes you to unconsciously squash your face onto the comb to get the required sight picture or something else.  

Just because you’re hitting the target didn’t mean the gun is a good fit. I shot well with a 682 Supersport, but that didn’t stop it from slapping me. 

I owned a Browning 325 and shot very well with it at sporting and game, but if I tried to shoot trap with it I always ended up getting a slap.

Have a look at a recent YouTube vid which shows some young lad taking a cheap OU and seeing if he can turn it into a decent gun. A ruler along the top edge of the comb showed it to be anything but flat. 

It could be a variety of things causing it to slap you, but if you’ve learned to shoot well with it then it may be worth having it fitted to avoid the slap.