Shooting without sgc

Kr55tan

Try the CPSA website for any affiliated grounds in your area. Goggle 'clay pigeon shooting' and see what that throws up. Then contact the grounds in question and ask if they have a 'club gun' that you can use. Most have an exemption order which allows you to buy ammunition and use their gun, although you will probably have to sign something to say that you are NOT a 'Prohibited Person' regarding using firearms.

I think the confusion is arising from WHERE you are using the gun. As already stated, a SHOOTING GROUND normally has an exemption order in place, to cover this sort of situation. Shooting in the FIELD, then one has to be in the presence of the Landowner or his 'Agent', when using a gun loaned by another. Also, if you come away from either shoot in possession of any cartridges, you do NOT commit any Offence. The Offence is BUYING ammo without a Certificate  !

I share the astonishment of many on here.

I have no idea if there's anywhere in Dorset that will simply hand over a gun and let someone wander off with it if they have no certificate. Certainly the largest ground won't even let you have a counter without a shotgun certificate, nor will they sell you any cartridges. 

On 23/09/2018 at 11:35, CharlesP said:

I share the astonishment of many on here.

I have no idea if there's anywhere in Dorset that will simply hand over a gun and let someone wander off with it if they have no certificate. Certainly the largest ground won't even let you have a counter without a shotgun certificate, nor will they sell you any cartridges. 

I know of several grounds who ask for a shotgun Certificate, before handing over their counting device, but I felt that this was to assure the safe return of the counter.

The section 11(6) exemption is issued by the Chief of police and it has recommended guidelines of issue, those guidelines of issue can vary from force to force.

When you apply for an exemption you state that you will comply with those guidelines before the exemption is issued.

It is similar to conditions on your certificate (although it is an offence to fail to comply with the certificate conditions) and is designed to help the correct working of the legislation or help with public safety.

I am not too sure if there is a specific offence if you don’t follow the guidelines issued for the exemption or if it immediately invalidates the exemption issued but the ground will definitely loose its exemption at some point which is usually enough for them to toe the line.

I know one such ground that did and one that was threatened with it if they didn’t tighten up on procedure.

GMP and North Yorkshire stipulate being supervised, by an authorised person from the ground and not just a mate with a certificate and that you also have to sign a notice that you are not a prohibited person.

https://northyorkshire.police.uk/what-we-do/licensing/firearms-licensing/section116-exemption-clay/

It is a possibility Humberside police / other forces do it differently to GMP and North Yorkshire however regardless of the exact wording of the firearms act most grounds do not want to risk losing their exemption should a gun go missing (their sole responsibility under the exemption) or there be any other problem.

I think it irresponsible of any ground to allow a non SGC holder to walk around a shooting ground unaccompanied with a Gun AND Cartridges, I know Kibworth require you to pay for a Trapper to walk round with you if you don't yet have one.

What's to stop someone popping the Gun and some carts in the boot and driving off ?

And before you say they have to show identification..........Yer like they can't be Fake !

And no I am NOT referring to the OP...

The reason for the ID was NOT so much to prove who they were, more to satisfy the requirement of the exemption (Sec. 11 (6) ). If they have signed to say that they are NOT a prohibited person and it then transpires that they are, the ground have taken all reasonable precautions within their powers. There is always the possibility of a prohibited person being in the company of SGC holders and using their guns, which at a large ground, is very difficult to detect. 

4 hours ago, Snoozer said:

I think it irresponsible of any ground to allow a non SGC holder to walk around a shooting ground unaccompanied with a Gun AND Cartridges, I know Kibworth require you to pay for a Trapper to walk round with you if you don't yet have one.

What's to stop someone popping the Gun and some carts in the boot and driving off ?

And before you say they have to show identification..........Yer like they can't be Fake !

And no I am NOT referring to the OP...

I'm with you on this one.

I'll admit to having no knowledge that this could or has actually happened, but if I find out that my local haunts are allowing this then I will let it be known I won't be shooting there anymore.

Even though I have membership and they know my face as a regular, I have to produce my license if I buy cartridges from the club. So I'm not ok with a non licence holder walking off with cartridges, let alone a gun.

I can imagine, if word got out, then one day some scrote would end up nipping through the woods with his 'new' gun, never to be seen again😳 Or..... something much worse!

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:05, Kr55tan said:

Hi I'm currently in the process of applying for my sgc I'm just wondering if there is any other grounds other than humberside shooting ground where I can go hire a gun and practice without being accompanied by someone with a sgc

thanks

I am also very surprised that Humberside Shooting Ground Staff are allowing this practice to go ahead and knowingly allow non licenced individuals to loan a gun and buy cartridges then allow them to shoot unsupervised!!

Very poor practice.

Any non licence holder should be under supervision whenever he is in the possession of a Shotgun. Would you loan you car out to a Learner Driver to take away and drive on his own without supervision. (I think not)   

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2018 at 10:11, welshwarrior said:

Legally any shooting ground with an 11.6 exemption can lend a person who is not exempt a gun and let them go clay shooting on the ground. 

Now where the ground insurance allows it or it’s a good idea is a very different matter.  

I am the named holder of a Section 11/6 exemption for a local club. It is there to allow beginners to shoot accompanied by a certificate holder. It certainly wouldn't cover me giving a gun to a non certificate holder to go off unaccompanied. 

22 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

I am the named holder of a Section 11/6 exemption for a local club. It is there to allow beginners to shoot accompanied by a certificate holder. It certainly wouldn't cover me giving a gun to a non certificate holder to go off unaccompanied. 

That’s the terms of you 11.6 others are different.