Rat pellets

welshwarrior

I’ve a few rats about and looking to use my sons BSA Ultra JSR 12 Ft Lb 22 air rifle to shoot some what pellets do guys find best heavy magnums or light fast.  Current got SMK Spitefires that have been fine and accurate on targets but don’t give great results on the rats.  

What do you guys recommend air guns haven’t been my thing for quite awhile so don’t know what’s out there 

JSB exacts always worth a look. Bisley magnums usually work well in BSA guns, so could be an option if you want something heavier. If the range is short, something like the bisley pest control pellet could be good if they're accurate in your gun. They hit like an absolute hammer, but aren't the most stable at long range

I also like bisley pest control for short range up to 20 metres, the thing with rats is their never still for long so body shots when they pause, you want something they have to lick so they stop and can't just run away with pieces of bread, if you can get them to stop then head shots with whatever is accurate.

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I’ve a few rats about and looking to use my sons BSA Ultra JSR 12 Ft Lb 22 air rifle to shoot some what pellets do guys find best heavy magnums or light fast.  Current got SMK Spitefires that have been fine and accurate on targets but don’t give great results on the rats.  

What do you guys recommend air guns haven’t been my thing for quite awhile so don’t know what’s out there 

I have always favoured lighter pellets for sub 12 ft lbs, say around 14.5 grains but if your range is known/fixed then there is no reason not to use any weight or shape pellet that'll put every shot inside a £ coin. Not sure what you mean by "not giving great results" ; head or neck shots will result in on the spot death and even a frontal shot would lead to a very quick demise, if you hit them in the back or middle then they'll go a fair distance before dying. 

As others have said I don't think you'll go far wrong with Exacts. 

Rats and squirrels I like standing stock still and that way I can put one right in the cranium and to be honest out to 20yrds the rat squirrel will be dead with and decent pellet.

I use Webley Mosquito Express in my AA S200 (14.35)  a) because they are the most accurate in my rifle  b) they do the job in spades when they arrive.

So this is quite a common problem with .22 pellets on rats especially with something heavy and penetrating like a bisley magnum or even a 16 grn exact .

They go straight through and impart little energy .into the rat .you see the rat jump into the air and run off .the pellet goes through and bounces of what ever is behind making indoor shots scary. 

What you need to counter act this is a light weight, fast moving low bc pellet .

A great choice is a rws hobby in .22 

Bsa barrels tend to shoot them very well up to 25 yds .some times a bit more .

They smack rats hard and dump a lot of energy into the rat .

They may leave the barrel with a bit less energy than a jsb and hit with less energy but they impart  much more of that energy into the quarry and thats the bit that matters. 

Just to illustrate how well this dumping of all the available  energy is .

Ive shot and killed cleaner more rats with. .177 pistol /carbine at 5.5 fpe and hobbies than i have with a 12 fpe .22 using standard round head pellets .

This is in barns around 5 to 15 yds. (Very typical ranges ) 

Obviously at say 30 yds 5.5 fpe would be out of its depth .but up to 15 yds its great .only bettered by a 12 fpe .177 shooting hobbys 

Edited by Ultrastu

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So this is quite a common problem with .22 pellets on rats especially with something heavy and penetrating like a bisley magnum or even a 16 grn exact .

They go straight through and impart little energy .into the rat .you see the rat jump into the air and run off .the pellet goes through and bounces of what ever is behind making indoor shots scary. 

What you need to counter act this is a light weight, fast moving low bc pellet .

A great choice is a rws hobby in .22 

Bsa barrels tend to shoot them very well up to 25 yds .some times a bit more .

They smack rats hard and dump a lot of energy into the rat .

They may leave the barrel with a bit less energy than a jsb and hit with less energy but they impart  much more of that energy into the quarry and thats the bit that matters. 

Not at all sure about that, my own experience with both sub 12 and FAC has been that rats are easily killed with a shot to the vitals, there are dozens of video's on Youtube which show thousands of rats being shot with sub 12 as well as high power guns with .22 as well as a fair few with .177, accuracy is the only real deal breaker. 

Edited by Hamster

Oh dont get me wrong any pellet (and at any energy ) to the correct place (head ) will kill a rat on the spot .accuracy being the key .

But rats are jumpy critters and front body shots are more often taken over head shots .and in those cases, all my infomation above come into play .

Just now, bruno22rf said:

Give H&N Baracuda hunter extreme a go - had good results on Squizzers at short range.

Is second that great pellets 

Try .hobbys . H+n hunter extreems 

Rws super hollow points. 

Falcon accuracy plus.  To start with 

If none of them work for you then your missing the rat. Usually underneath for close shots .

Ps the ultimate rat stopper in my experience is a .177 hobby running around 16 fpe and 1000 + fps .

× SPLAT ×🤣

11 hours ago, Longbower said:

I agree with Ultrastu, about the Falcon Accuracy Plus . They are 13.4 grain , and very soft , deforming well on impact , instead of going straight through.

I use them in my BSA Scorpion .22 and HW95K ,for both squirrels and rats. The only pellet I will use instead of AA Diablo  Field.

I know little about airgun pellets, weights etc, etc, but are the AA Diablo fields any different from the JSB exacts? Are they not made in the same factory? What I do know however, is I shot two tree rats clean, this morning in the garden, one at approx 20 the other 30 yds, using JSB exacts!

The only things I will shoot in my garden are Magpies, Squirrels and Rats!