Convector hearth

Wb123

17 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

why not get a log/coal burner stove.

Rented house, if the chimney was lined I would be tempted to put a second hand one in but all going well this time next year we will be moving out so I don't want to throw any more money at it than necessary. 

I could make something up out of mild steel if I can find a cheap source. 

20 hours ago, B725 said:

Exposed copper won't last long if in direct contact with the fire even if it was full of water, we used to put bit's of copper on the fire years ago to see the different colours in the flames 

Must have installed dozens of copper back boilers in the late 50's in farm cottage improvements.  Copper pipe was not exposed to direct fire but was only a fire brick away.  In soft water areas those copper boilers lasted for ever more.

Blackpowder

Doing a bit of googling at other people's designs it looks like there is quite likely a back boiler in there already, I will set about trying to trace any plumbing and see if it is still connected or if there is evidence it has been made safe if not. 

The lever that I had thought controlled the updraft looks suspiciously like it may be diverting flow through a back boiler. 

There is is an oil fired boiler in the place also, but also a plumbing set up like nothing I have seen before. 

3 hours ago, B725 said:

I stand corrected I've seen most thing's in my heating career but never a solid fuel copper boiler 

Much of rural plumbers work in the late 1950's was the modernisation of farm cottages.  Meaning provision of a stored hot water supply, and indoor sanitation.  Cooking ranges were still being specified than with a copper back boiler , cant remember the measurements now but they were not large perhaps around 6 inch by six inch on the ends by 15 to 18 inches long.  Still being manufactured by Mc Donald engineering among others.

Blackpowder