TV License

stuartyboy

Ive been hearing there's talk of a mass protest at the TV License fee, with people saying they are going to boycott the fee on the BBCs birthday next month.  Admittedly I heard it from a friend who seen it on Facebook so am taking it with a pinch of salt.

But it got me thinking and am curious as to peoples views on the License fee? Was ideally looking to start a poll but not sure how to? Just for curiousity really.

Personally, I'm against it and think it should be a choice that you pay the License fee if you think the BBC and its services are worth it to you. If not, its up to them to advertise for revenue to make any shortfall. That might be a simplistic view but i think its wrong to be forced into paying it now when there's so many other options available ie Sky, Virgin media etc. That's before you discuss the accusations levelled at the BBC over the years....

Over to you guys to see what others think...

Bbc and license fee is out of date and no longer fit for purpose. We have a couple of hundred channels to choose from one way or another. Yet they are mostly showing repeats of repeats that have been repeated many times before. I believe that all TV companies should have to earn their own money as with any business the strong will survive the rubbish will disappear. Do we need channels showing the same thing +1 +2 +24.

Have not had a TV in my home for 32 years but still get threatening letters. Just think how much it costs to just chase the people like me never mind staff the licensing department alone.

I always write a nice long letter explaining why I do not have a TV....give 'em something to do. 

For those of you who do have and enjoy TV then yes, I fully agree it should be funded the same as all the other channels.  Makes me very angry when I read about the unbelievable amounts paid out to so called 'stars'.

I don't have a tv and don't have a licence. The only time I get tempted is at six nations time, but £70 or however much a licence is gets a lot of beer and it's nice to watch the games in the pub. 

That said there certainly used to be profit making sections of the BBC exporting material and subsidising the rest. Perhaps this could be stepped up and parts of the current service made into a subscription service. 

Just now, Mighty Ruler said:

I wouldn’t mind paying the licence fee if the BBC was genuinely impartial but it’s a long way from that. I rarely watch any telly anyway, there’s much more interesting stuff on YouTube, I’m currently watching Jack’s Game.

How would you suggest they be more impartial? 

S

1 minute ago, oowee said:

How would you suggest they be more impartial? 

Well they could stick to the policy they had during the referendum when I thought they got it spot on but since then they have been heavily biased towards remain. A BBC executive even admitted as much and justified it by saying the referendum is over, it may be but Remain still seem to be fighting it. Also, Countryfile is a joke and Chris Packham is an idiot who shouldn’t get the prominence he does.

29 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

I think that the BBC should receive a protected subsidy from the Treasury, and that the TV Licence should be scrapped. That would save them the printing and postage on the threatening letters we receive every few months at least.

LS

What would they do with all those detector vans, packed with high tech equipment?

1 hour ago, lord_seagrave said:

I think that the BBC should receive a protected subsidy from the Treasury, and that the TV Licence should be scrapped. That would save them the printing and postage on the threatening letters we receive every few months at least.

LS

Why should they? The way I see it, we're simply paying for our own propaganda to be fed to us, the system is clearly set up and backed by the government to make it very difficult to not pay a licence, even though you don't receive live broadcasts or watch catch up services and aren't breaking the law, they will hound you, it's state sponsored harassment.

8 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

What would they do with all those detector vans, packed with high tech equipment?

They would have to release the hamsters.

The other thing that trips my trigger is that blind people get (or used to get) a discount of I think £5. that is really; really; really taking advantage. and it was in the days before AD.       

I think that it is archaic. In the multimedia 21st century it seems quite absurd that we are paying it. I watch the odd series on Netflix (i consider Breaking Bad to be some of the best tv I've seen), but will probably get rid of the tv when my last child leaves home. Call me old fashioned but I enjoy reading.

I don't pay it, just watch blurays, catch up and other methods.

I despise the BBC and their capita goons.

They've given up with me now, my last reply to their threats being a caution, we have loose dogs around the property and anyone arriving unannounced will be deemed as trespassing and be removed by me.

They've finally ****ed off.

To be fair I don’t mind paying. 

The bodyguard... very good but if it were to come out on dvd that would be 2 months of a licence fee to buy. 

BBC news whilst not the greatest provides advert and pop up free internet sites along with weather and the such

same for the radio and I’m sure we all listen to a BBC entity 

4 hours ago, ph5172 said:

To be fair I don’t mind paying. 

The bodyguard... very good but if it were to come out on dvd that would be 2 months of a licence fee to buy. 

BBC news whilst not the greatest provides advert and pop up free internet sites along with weather and the such

same for the radio and I’m sure we all listen to a BBC entity 

I dont mind paying at all. Lot's of good drama (bodyguard and Killing eve at the moment). Despite what others may think I value the news and weather which i find to be balanced and mostly accurate and have yet to find anything better :-). Radio 5L is permanent station in the truck.