TV License

stuartyboy

You often hear of people slagging off media groups like RT, calling it state run,or state funded .

Well isn't the BBC state funded and state run ? Do we have a choice whether we pay for it or not?

What's wrong with adverts anyway, the beeb fills intermissions with adverts for other beeb programs. If it doesn't want to run as a commercial,profit making media organ, stick enough ads on to make the licence considerably cheaper then ?

23 hours ago, oowee said:

Everyone should pay it's great. Those over 75 generally watch it more, they should pay more. Free loaders everywhere. 

Over 75's have probably paid their licence fee for many years amounting to hundreds of pounds. Don't moan😰

Just had a letter to the office telling me that they will be sending someone to investigate why we don't have a tv license there!

Seems absurd.

There are about 40 people working in the building, if they each have a tv license then they are allowed to watch whatever they want in the building. If one doesn't then we have to buy a licence. 

If a customer in the shop watches tv then we need a licence.

We are already being harassed for the license (can't remember the name) to play music in the building.

We don't play music or have any type of tv for staff or customers.

I have an android box at home and if I ever watch the tv it would be showbox or the like. I have no interest in any BBC radio station.

As others have said it's easy enough for Sky to turn off channels so why can the same system be used to mean that if we don't watch we don't have to pay.

It's another tax that's very difficult to avoid even if you don't use the service.

I often wish I had the energy to argue the case and not pay the rip off fee.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

I bought a bacon roll from a layby van last week and the chap was saying that if he wants to have a radio on he needs to have a broadcasting licence. Anyone know if that's true?

yup.

https://www.prsformusic.com/licences/broadcasting-music-on-radio

Edited by ClemFandango

14 hours ago, Gordon R said:

They could stop loading the Question Time panel and audience with left wing loonies. Then get rid of Chris Packham.

And Lineker

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I bought a bacon role from a lay bye van last week and the chap was saying that if he wants to have a radio on he needs to have a broadcasting licence. Anyone know if that's true?

They check up on small garages to see if the mechanics have a radio playing too.

11 hours ago, oowee said:

I dont mind paying at all. Lot's of good drama (bodyguard and Killing eve at the moment). Despite what others may think I value the news and weather which i find to be balanced and mostly accurate and have yet to find anything better :-). Radio 5L is permanent station in the truck. 

I really wonder how you view the world and your decision making process, it matters not how good the programs are, or not, the issue is the way they harrass people, backed by the government, who have broken no law, they simply assume everyone watches live TV and expect them to stump up the fee, it'd be like fisheries enforcement turning up on everyones doorstep, whether they fish or not and assuming they are illegally fishing and demanding they be let in to check the property for fishing rods, they would then demand payment or else, regardless of there being no evidence you fish, this would be backed by the government, it's simply not right, but then your views (which your obviously entitled to) on brexit are interesting to say the least, you seem to believe unelected officials and private companies going around acting like the Mafia is perfectly acceptable.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I really wonder how you view the world and your decision making process, it matters not how good the programs are, or not, the issue is the way they harrass people, backed by the government, who have broken no law, they simply assume everyone watches live TV and expect them to stump up the fee, it'd be like fisheries enforcement turning up on everyones doorstep, whether they fish or not and assuming they are illegally fishing and demanding they be let in to check the property for fishing rods, they would then demand payment or else, regardless of there being no evidence you fish, this would be backed by the government, it's simply not right, but then your views (which your obviously entitled to) on brexit are interesting to say the least, you seem to believe unelected officials and private companies going around acting like the Mafia is perfectly acceptable.

Your view of the world does not involve the BBC? Are you suggesting that workers for the BBC should be elected ??? . What does 'behaving like the Mafia' mean?  If it's money laundering, horses heads in bed and taking people out then I have never heard of the BBC doing that except in one of there drama's :lol:. Perhaps you have an example?

Edited by oowee
question mark

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Your view of the world does not involve the BBC? Are you suggesting that workers for the BBC should be elected ??? . What does 'behaving like the Mafia' mean?  If it's money laundering, horses heads in bed and taking people out then I have never heard of the BBC doing that except in one of there drama's :lol:. Perhaps you have an example?

I moved house recently, the house had been unoccupied for a month, and the mail hadnt been collected.
On the door mat were 5 letters from TV licensing , one of them addressed to 'the occupier' was threatening a home visit, and possible prosecution for not having a TV license.
I have  a TV license, and I have no reason to doubt the previous occupier had one either.
So , do you consider that normal behaviour for a government funded agency ?

At my previous address I didnt have one, I had been there 3 weeks and was still sort of moving in from my exes, who had the license in her name.
At 9 pm last October 2 men from TV licensing knocked on the door and demanded to see my license.
I explained it was on my list of things to do, they cautioned me, and advised me to set up a direct debit there and then, whilst reminding me that prosecution was still possible.
I was somewhat miffed , and told them so, they were not bothered and told me so.
Heavy handed, intrusion of privacy, threatening ?
Again, is this normal behaviour for what is, in effect , a government run compulsory mouthpiece ?

Maybe they dont leave a horses head in your bed, but they certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I moved house recently, the house had been unoccupied for a month, and the mail hadnt been collected.
On the door mat were 5 letters from TV licensing , one of them addressed to 'the occupier' was threatening a home visit, and possible prosecution for not having a TV license.
I have  a TV license, and I have no reason to doubt the previous occupier had one either.
So , do you consider that normal behaviour for a government funded agency ?

At my previous address I didnt have one, I had been there 3 weeks and was still sort of moving in from my exes, who had the license in her name.
At 9 pm last October 2 men from TV licensing knocked on the door and demanded to see my license.
I explained it was on my list of things to do, they cautioned me, and advised me to set up a direct debit there and then, whilst reminding me that prosecution was still possible.
I was somewhat miffed , and told them so, they were not bothered and told me so.
Heavy handed, intrusion of privacy, threatening ?
Again, is this normal behaviour for what is, in effect , a government run compulsory mouthpiece ?

Maybe they dont leave a horses head in your bed, but they certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Was going to post a reply, but I'd only be repeating this, hence why they're closer to the Mafia than a business.