Any thoughts?

bruno22rf

Been mulling over the coming seasons Nutty bashing and my tiny mind has started to realise that shooting PCP's is rather "industrial" and may, in some ways, be somewhat guilty of introducing a feeling of boredom into my previous forays. We all know the feeling of a "dead" PCP on firing and an almost detached sense of the proceedings after pulling the trigger - "clinical" would be a good word.

So, with my brain firing on both cylinders I seem to be convincing myself that I might want to try stepping backwards in order to go forwards i.e. trying something that would be more likely to be seen on Antiques Road show than the Airgungearshow. The idea is that, by involving myself more in the "launch control" of my chosen projectile I may rediscover my passion for the job in hand (this is not a first for me as I find greater pleasure in the use of "front stuffing smoke poles" than using my modern O/U shotguns). So armed with my first significant brainwave for several months I'm pondering on the feasibility of using a  40-50 year old puffgun to upset Nutty and wondering if any of the older offerings would be A/ accurate enough to hold a good enough group to make the practice worthwhile and B/ carry sufficient energy to "do the job". Guns I'm considering are Webley's service mk2, BSA Cadet Major or maybe something even older. So anyone any thoughts? I'm not hankering on dressing for the occasion and involving myself in a "Pride and Prejudice" re enactment ( though the idea of stalking thru the woods in an evening Gown is worryingly appealing :innocent:) but simply replacing new with old for a change. Let the micky taking commence.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ultrastu said:

I  have a tx 200 hc in .177 im thinking of selling if that floats your boat mate ? 

Wayyy too modern! Even as a springer, that's got several bells and one or two whistles. 

I think the power isn't really an issue. If they're not up to scratch, there are plenty of people around who could get them there. And as to accuracy, good machined barrels have been around for longer than most would give them credit for, so I'd be pretty confident you'd get it to go in the right direction. You think of going open sighted, too?

52 minutes ago, madmax666 said:

Yep I agree with you on" pcps" they are boring to shoot there is just no feel to them, I am a recoil and twang man.  I always fancied the Webley Vulcan I know not as old as you are thinking about.  I wish I still had my Diana G79 to play with.

MM

I will see your webley vulcan and raise you a webley tracker...

Interesting topic, I was out only the other day sneaking up on Rabbits with my 1953 BSA Airsporter .22 with open iron sights it still shoots 1/2” left at 30 yards, put over the Chrono & it managed a healthy enough 9.5 ftlbs

Anyway after going out 3 times and blanking I persevered and on my 4 time out managed to ambush a couple of Rabbits at 20 yards, it’s been a long time but I have rediscovered my sneaking about skills that you lose when using a 17Hmr😁

The Rifle itself was my late Fathers and he bought it new In 1953 after he was demobbed from the Korean War, shot hundreds of tins of pellets through it and no other gun gives me more of a smile than this one👍

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I  have a tx 200 hc in .177 im thinking of selling if that floats your boat mate ? 

Think you would need to carry it for him, and all good gillies say sir!!

1 hour ago, miroku mk70 said:

I will see your webley vulcan and raise you a webley tracker...

I had a tracker 😁 

Have a look what Ditchy did with the peep sight, might get your juices flowing.

Most of the suggestions I think I have owned over the years - used to "borrow" Rabbits with a BSA Meteor without a stock (tucked under my coat where one day, whilst walking nonchalantly  away from an estate worker, it shot me under my arm resulting in about 15 minutes digging with my pen knife to remove the pellet) - first ever Rifle was a Relum, not sure on the Mk3 and the Diana "G" range were pants. Trouble is that while looking at pre War guns I will most likely end up buying a Compatto, but I will keep looking.

Edited by bruno22rf

Even only being 31 I know what you you mean about PCP’s. My plan is to get a springer as it all gets a bit boring filling up etc and just fancy grabbing a gun and pellets. My only concern is decoying magpies and the extra movements needed with a springer.  I really don’t shoot that much these days due to work and family commitments but I really do need to make a concerted bloody effort. 

Isn’t your squirrel control results based? If so wouldn’t the PCP bring more numbers in?

I doubt that W&B, considering the limited range that shots are normally taken over, the PCP's that I use are barely "ticking over" when out controlling Nutty although the ability to reload quickly has often enabled me to shoot 2 or 3 in quick succession (I can clearly recall one incident last year where I felt like I was being mobbed by the blighters as a group of 10 + ran through the trees above me) - the lighter weight of some  PCP offerings ,however, is an undeniable Carrot as my health is not the best - also need an Ambi or LH gun as my right eye decided to quit several years back. I must admit though that it's fun searching for the new tool - the Compatto keeps popping up in my thoughts or even (:cry1:) a Bullpup - now that would look odd in my collection .

I get where you coming from I've been using a fenman and a feinwerkbau sport to shoot through the summer as a change from the r10 that I would normally use,if your shooting over bait stations you know the range and as long as you can shoot kill size groups, much more satisfying to shoot. Just practice with whatever you choose and you'll be fine 

8 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

FWB Sport, now there's a dream rifle - seem to remember they did one with uprated woodwork, that would be nice but LH?

It's only shooting 10ftp but it's shooting 1/2 inch groups with jsbs , a hw35 would be a good choice if that floats your boat I used a .22 export in the late70s it shot very well, miles better than the British guns of the time 

Open sights are fun .but i find my max range is about 20 yds and thats when im bench rested and really concentrating .this is to get groups around 30 mm 

The same gun (old bsa lightening ) can shoot an inch at 40 yds with a scope .so the opens /my ability are the limiting factor not the gun /pellet .

A more reasonable range is 15 yds .

Worth considering if your going to hunt with it .

A red dot sight will extend these ranges by about 5 yds in my experience 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

The scope is an issue that I'm pretending to ignore but, in my heart of hearts I kind of know that I need one to be effective - not only to improve my accuracy but to give me something to blame when I miss.

hello, nothing wrong with a nice springer and scope providing it can be made to shoot smooth a quite, or enough not to scatter the squirells out of sight, good luck in your quest bruno,

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

The scope is an issue that I'm pretending to ignore but, in my heart of hearts I kind of know that I need one to be effective - not only to improve my accuracy but to give me something to blame when I miss.

Just look out for a scope from the late 70s on tasco, optima, Kassnar wouldn't look out of place and can be surprisingly good