Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bruno22rf

Any thoughts?

    Recommended Posts

    Update - after countless hours of scanning the Ads I finally decided on a 70's Original 35 in .22 flavour. I have history regarding this gun that I have written about before so will not bore anyone further but it's a gun that I have always admired. It's in the post as I write so , fingers crossed, it is as good as the pictures suggest and once I have found a period scope I will write further regarding my findings - so far the gun / one piece mount and scope are looking like coming in under £200 so it will be interesting (I hope) to see if such a budget combo (hate that expression) can still "cut the Mustard" where Nutty bashing is concerned. Fingers crossed I will be in heaven (or tears) by the weekend - anyone know where I can find a 70's scope in reasonable nick?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

    Update - after countless hours of scanning the Ads I finally decided on a 70's Original 35 in .22 flavour. I have history regarding this gun that I have written about before so will not bore anyone further but it's a gun that I have always admired. It's in the post as I write so , fingers crossed, it is as good as the pictures suggest and once I have found a period scope I will write further regarding my findings - so far the gun / one piece mount and scope are looking like coming in under £200 so it will be interesting (I hope) to see if such a budget combo (hate that expression) can still "cut the Mustard" where Nutty bashing is concerned. Fingers crossed I will be in heaven (or tears) by the weekend - anyone know where I can find a 70's scope in reasonable nick?

    Rather than a 70's scope why not just keep it simple get a fixed mag so no messing about, a nice simmons maybe?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Many people used to modern airguns and scopes would be surprised at what can be achieved with a good 70s springer and a simple scope. My first was a 4x20 on an ASI .22 but I did splash out on a 4x40 within weeks. That was top level stuff!

    No doubt you'll have fun Bruno and that's what it's all about.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Nice to see you back TT - struggling to find a scope suitable for the era at the moment so happily scanning "for sales" again. Wanted a 35 since I was in my teens, had a 50 (too ungainly and always felt a bit chubby) and a 45 (superb rifle but too heavy for me nowadays) so I'm looking forward to living with the 35 and putting it up against the Squirrels. I have ordered a one piece mount in preparation for recoil shift on the scope so I am hoping to get reasonable accuracy from her as long as she has not suffered any amateur fettling. The old girl will play alongside my brace of S410's - one of which was the cause of much amusement Sunday - an unfortunate Squirrel happened upon the remaining Hazelnuts in my garden and was busy enjoying said Nuts atop my shed when one of Air Arms finest blew it's mind - as it hit the floor my Spaniel decided to grab it and run around the garden shaking it with some vigour causing blood to spray over my fence panels resulting in what could best be described as a Banksy meets a Zombie painting.

    Edited by bruno22rf

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yes looking for a scope of the time might be difficult, my 1st was a 3x7x20 ASI to which was too small and dark for me, so I bought a Nikko Sterling gold crown 4x32 W/A for £15 in 77 and I still use today its optics and clarity are superb but the 30/30 is a tad thick.  Your choice of the O35 is a good one its a solid performer made with quality..should be a cracker.

    MM 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    20 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

    Nice to see you back TT - struggling to find a scope suitable for the era at the moment so happily scanning "for sales" again. Wanted a 35 since I was in my teens, had a 50 (too ungainly and always felt a bit chubby) and a 45 (superb rifle but too heavy for me nowadays) so I'm looking forward to living with the 35 and putting it up against the Squirrels. I have ordered a one piece mount in preparation for recoil shift on the scope so I am hoping to get reasonable accuracy from her as long as she has not suffered any amateur fettling. The old girl will play alongside my brace of S410's - one of which was the cause of much amusement Sunday - an unfortunate Squirrel happened upon the remaining Hazelnuts in my garden and was busy enjoying said Nuts atop my shed when one of Air Arms finest blew it's mind - as it hit the floor my Spaniel decided to grab it and run around the garden shaking it with some vigour causing blood to spray over my fence panels resulting in what could best be described as a Banksy meets a Zombie painting.

    I'm glad to be back mate, it appears I upset the mods somewhat. However, I'm now reformed, go to church, sing in the choir, help old ladies and 3 legged dogs cross the road.(M5)

    ☺️

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 22/09/2018 at 21:01, bruno22rf said:

    Been mulling over the coming seasons Nutty bashing and my tiny mind has started to realise that shooting PCP's is rather "industrial" and may, in some ways, be somewhat guilty of introducing a feeling of boredom into my previous forays. We all know the feeling of a "dead" PCP on firing and an almost detached sense of the proceedings after pulling the trigger - "clinical" would be a good word.

    So, with my brain firing on both cylinders I seem to be convincing myself that I might want to try stepping backwards in order to go forwards i.e. trying something that would be more likely to be seen on Antiques Road show than the Airgungearshow. The idea is that, by involving myself more in the "launch control" of my chosen projectile I may rediscover my passion for the job in hand (this is not a first for me as I find greater pleasure in the use of "front stuffing smoke poles" than using my modern O/U shotguns). So armed with my first significant brainwave for several months I'm pondering on the feasibility of using a  40-50 year old puffgun to upset Nutty and wondering if any of the older offerings would be A/ accurate enough to hold a good enough group to make the practice worthwhile and B/ carry sufficient energy to "do the job". Guns I'm considering are Webley's service mk2, BSA Cadet Major or maybe something even older. So anyone any thoughts? I'm not hankering on dressing for the occasion and involving myself in a "Pride and Prejudice" re enactment ( though the idea of stalking thru the woods in an evening Gown is worryingly appealing ) but simply replacing new with old for a change. Let the micky taking commence.

    Hi, I have a Webley Service Mk2 and many other vintage airguns ie. BSA Improved Model D, Crosman Town & Country 108, Meteor Mk1. Personally I wouldn't hunt with them. I use the most accurate airguns for hunting because I owe it to the quarry. For me that means pcp's. But each to their own. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sensible point of view Louis, but I already have 2 S410's and the particular task that my new toy will be employed for does not require a rifle capable of match grade accuracy - as long as it will group 1/2" ish over 20 yards then it will be fine. Had I of bought an older gun that turned out to be unreliable or lacking the desired performance then I would not have used it - my original post made that quite clear. The Original 35 I have bought is "only"46 years old but should be up to the job.

    Edited by bruno22rf

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I suspect it can group tighter than that if your up to the job. There's a certain sense of satisfaction  from using a Springer well. A vintage one more so. 

    My grandad (he would be 100 this year so quite a while ago) would tell me of the countless rabbits he shot with his old original (circa 1920's) that would "put a big dent in an old penney at the top of the garden" with open sights. This  was apparently the test in the day.his dad was a butcher and his uncle a bit of a poacher by all accounts who used a large catapult that would launch golf balls at unsuspecting game birds in the hampshire lanes. So I'm sure the 35 will sort squirrels out at 20 and be very enjoyable as you do it. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hw 77 Mk 2 or 3

     

    BSA Mercury Mod S

     

    both these are insanley accurate................targets at 25yds....target with #4 flyer is the HW77....the other one is the BSA S..EDIT.....sorry it was a shade under 20yds as i was shooting off the landrover bonnet...

    177 & 22 001tn_.JPG

    final post zero 003tn_.JPG

    final post zero 004tn_.JPG

    Edited by ditchman

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The 77 is nearly cheating when you say Springer. Same as a tx200 for those that can't handle the 77...........Not shot a mercury. Both are excellent groups a pcp would be happy with  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    50 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

    The 77 is nearly cheating when you say Springer. Same as a tx200 for those that can't handle the 77...........Not shot a mercury. Both are excellent groups a pcp would be happy with  

    it  took me ages to get the BSA right..........in the end because of the dry lube i used i reverted to a standard mercury spring which is pushing out 11.8 ft/lbs now.............not some stupid o'clock poundage as before .....that would have got me locked up for good.........

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ah yes, I remember now, space x were putting satellites in orbit with it till de-tuned. 

    Might get one to plink with. That's the problem though  the collection soon builds up and there's only so many that can be snuck past the wife. Doesn't help shes a crack shot. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×