Should have listened to Father

6.5x55SE

With more Pinks arriving a very eager 17yr old Grandson a fact finding mission with Guns was a plan for this morning. Sadly when i stepped out the door this morning the good wind had gone but full of enthusiasm to bag his first September Pink Conor wanted to still travel to Norfolk during the drive i had a constant mind batal " windy go there " no wind " stay  half a mile short and left "  ( decision being made by years of experience ) but advice from my Father many years ago stick with your first plan and spot Don't change or move as more likely than not your regret it. So with the first streaks of dawn breaking i broke my father's advice changed my plan and moved. Having settled both dogs loaded the 20ga with a Steel 2's backed up by two HW13 Conor's young first ear's then eyes picked up two Pink at a shootable height approach within 100yrd then right on a know stiff breeze to disappear ????? Yep direction of my original plan/spot. The more it got light so the flight increased not only good sized Skiens of Pinks but Greylag as well. Breaking cover i we went as fast as we could to my original plan/spot whilst all the time Pinks an Greylag poured in. Finally parking up we saw a single Pink then 3 Skiens of 30+ so low a 410 would have easily dealt with them drop in to 900-1100 Pinks and 300-400 Greylag. Scanning around with Binoculars for any late arrivals we witnessed 4 Skiens so high they looked like Teal arrive in from the sea and North these Geese chose to wiffle down to a Goose obviously tired from a long journey . Moving to a better position to check the Geese over we spied a unique price a Leucistic Pink along with a piebald Greylag and pure white Greylag. Apologizing to Conor for getting it wrong he answered no problem we are not working Thursday guess where we can be. Once home i phoned Father to tell him of our flight did i get a lecture you bet i did.

13 minutes ago, Konnie said:

It will come good think you will both get that September pink 1 week to go

Thanks Konnie. I've been lucky and shot several foreshore Pinks over the years but Conor has never had the chance Fingers crossed Thursday morning he will achieve another ambition of his.

I don't think there are many 17 year old wild fowlers who have shot as many wild geese as Conor so by getting it wrong now and again wont do him any harm whatsoever  , you need failures to enjoy the success , as we have said many times before , there is more to shooting than just pulling the trigger , 

Boyd, I bet there have also been times when you have gone against your gut feeling and it has worked out.

I reckon you will have success this week.

I nearly called round a bunch of pinks this morning, on a marsh I don't normally go to. Better luck next time for me, too!

3 hours ago, motty said:

Boyd, I bet there have also been times when you have gone against your gut feeling and it has worked out.

I reckon you will have success this week.

I nearly called round a bunch of pinks this morning, on a marsh I don't normally go to. Better luck next time for me, too!

Yes your right Wayne. Although Conor never had a shot he was well excited seeing the Geese especially the Skiens arriving along with the Leucistic Pink . Tonight he killed a fantastic Canada 45yd+ going on the wind one shot one Goose . Unlucky on your near miss this morning hope to hear you get a September Pink. 

Wayne just checked the calendar if the Pinks are still around I'll try to get you a shot Saturday morning

Thanks for all the other replies

Edited by 6.5x55SE