Joshua v Povetkin

Gordon R

11 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite the end. I had Joshua down 4-2 when the seventh started. When the two big fights come, Joshua needs to be quicker in gaining the measure of an opponent. If he takes six rounds against Wilder or Fury, he could find himself in a spot of bother if he can't find the knockout blow

Have to agree, he looked nervous tonight walking to the ring. And didn't start to clever. The two punch combo to drop Povetkin was good, as he fell it was like he was thinking oh ****. 

good measured performance I think from AJ  he couldn't take any risks early on povetkin was sharp and dangerous , he bided his time then went for the kill when the time was right

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

sounds like a good pay per view for once, and i thought it would be a 3 round joy ride for AJ

the undercard wasn't great to be honest 

8 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Povetkin is a dangerous fighter and is almost a perfect opponent for Joshua being dangerous inside, I think Joshua did well, but it shows he's still young in his career and shows it would have been a different fight against a prime Klitschko, Joshua however is the real deal and has plenty of time on his side.

Klitschko went for it when they fought in his prime he was more measured and not as gung ho as he  was against aj so I think it would of been an interesting fight in his prime, and he is definitely the real deal lets see if  wilder is the real deal and they agree on the fight I just want to see aj knock him out 

44 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

Klitschko went for it when they fought in his prime he was more measured and not as gung ho as he  was against aj so I think it would of been an interesting fight in his prime, and he is definitely the real deal lets see if  wilder is the real deal and they agree on the fight I just want to see aj knock him out 

Agreed, although Klitschko got alot of bad press for that style of fighting, it wasn't his fault as during his 10y reign (other than his brother who he understandably wouldn't fight), there simply wasn't anyone who could match him and therefore he never needed, despite being capable to have a war with anyone. Im quite confident at this point AJ would have lost, although he's so young in his career, in a few years, if AJ continues the way he's going, he'll have been the best HW ever. I've got him to beat Wilder without too much trouble although Wilder obviously retains a punchers chance. I believe Tyson Fury could trouble him, although I can't call that one, if I was to put a bet on, it's still be for AJ.

10 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Agreed, although Klitschko got alot of bad press for that style of fighting, it wasn't his fault as during his 10y reign (other than his brother who he understandably wouldn't fight), there simply wasn't anyone who could match him and therefore he never needed, despite being capable to have a war with anyone. Im quite confident at this point AJ would have lost, although he's so young in his career, in a few years, if AJ continues the way he's going, he'll have been the best HW ever. I've got him to beat Wilder without too much trouble although Wilder obviously retains a punchers chance. I believe Tyson Fury could trouble him, although I can't call that one, if I was to put a bet on, it's still be for AJ.

totally agree you can never write off fury his style and talent is a nightmare for any heavyweight  and a smart boxer  but aj is a smart boxer as well and if and when they fight he would find a chink in the armour and nail him in the end and he would do the same to wilder 

I had similar score to chris with aj 1-2 rounds down. Povetins way to find an angle to get that second punch away was superb. Good workout for AJ and a stunning ko. **** undercard tbh. Price hasn't had a fight in him in 4 years and needs to retire and good to see luke campbell with a great workmanlike fight however i feel he doesn't have the power to worry the top 3 or 4 in his class

7 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

...AJ continues the way he's going, he'll have been the best HW ever...

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that! I was idly flicking through youtube at some of Lennox Lewis' fights, as the are reasonably similar boxers. The things that Lewis had that Joshua hasn't shown much of yet are impeccable timing from the beginning and finesse to go with the power. Lewis had both in abundance. Joshua right now is a bit of a wrecking ball - hugely destructive, unless someone moves out of the way, then you're just swinging in the wind. That's why I think Tyson will be a harder prospect than Wilder. Missing big shots is energy sapping and Tyson's very good at making fighters do that. 

Joshua's low left hand left him open to overhand right hooks from Povetkin. He can't afford to ship punches like that from Wilder.

That said, Wilder ships punishment - against Luis Ortiz, he was saved by the bell in the later rounds. It might be a case of who lands the first big punch. Fury would be harder for Joshua or Wilder - he is awkward.

I don't think there's a similarity between Lewis and AJ.  Lewis was a far, far better boxer and not a one trick pony. I consider AJ to be  most similar to Bruno in his stiff style of fighting. He's young though and perhaps he'll learn to move a bit. Can't rely on a big punch forever, because most heavyweights have a big punch that can finish any fight.

Fury is the most boring overrated fighter I've ever watched. Keeping someone out of range with your freakishly long arms doesn't make you a fighter.

Said days for HW boxing IMO. 

Povetkin was dangerous for fourish rounds and I thought he stood a good chance of knocking Joshua out, he was quicker, strong, aggressive and landed some terrific lefts, Joshua looked slow and lacked movement and allowed himself to be pushed around by the smaller lighter Povetkin!..... but the tide turned as Povetkin started to look his age and the knockout when it came, was clinical........Povetkin was a very experienced, credible, dangerous opponent....I bet if he was not a mandatory, Joshua wouldn't have chosen to fight him.

Edited by panoma1

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I don't think there's a similarity between Lewis and AJ.  Lewis was a far, far better boxer and not a one trick pony. I consider AJ to be  most similar to Bruno in his stiff style of fighting. He's young though and perhaps he'll learn to move a bit. Can't rely on a big punch forever, because most heavyweights have a big punch that can finish any fight.

Fury is the most boring overrated fighter I've ever watched. Keeping someone out of range with your freakishly long arms doesn't make you a fighter.

Said days for HW boxing IMO. 

Sorry I meant in terms of physical stature: weight, height and reach are all pretty similar. Having said that, the early Lewis was similar to what Joshua is now. He'd look for that big knock out punch as does Joshua, and used the jab much more sparingly, like Joshua. But you're right, Lewis in his prime (Post McCall, when he changed trainers) was a far more accomplished technician and is what Joshua should try and emulate.  And in some ways the Lewis/Tyson bout has similar bear bones to Joshua/Povetkin. Povetkin was dangerous when he got close and could use his crushing shots from short range, negating Joshua's reach advantage, much like Tyson tried to do against Lewis. The difference is Lewis took one round to size up Tyson's tactics . He probably lost the first round, but utterly dominated the next six and a half. In his last few fights, it's taken Joshua three rounds to find his timing and his range. That's too long against quality opposition. 

26 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Sorry I meant in terms of physical stature: weight, height and reach are all pretty similar. Having said that, the early Lewis was similar to what Joshua is now. He'd look for that big knock out punch as does Joshua, and used the jab much more sparingly, like Joshua. But you're right, Lewis in his prime (Post McCall, when he changed trainers) was a far more accomplished technician and is what Joshua should try and emulate.  And in some ways the Lewis/Tyson bout has similar bear bones to Joshua/Povetkin. Povetkin was dangerous when he got close and could use his crushing shots from short range, negating Joshua's reach advantage, much like Tyson tried to do against Lewis. The difference is Lewis took one round to size up Tyson's tactics . He probably lost the first round, but utterly dominated the next six and a half. In his last few fights, it's taken Joshua three rounds to find his timing and his range. That's too long against quality opposition. 

Spot on. :good: