diy car smart repair paint

paul1966

anyone tried one of those diy smart repair kits you can get, i have had a quote of £180 to patch up four small patches of rust caused by stone chips on my cmax, one either side of the rear doors and either side just behind the front wheels , i plan to touch it up but is there anything i can put over the area for extra protection?

car4.jpg

car3.jpg

I tried a similar repair. Rub down. Treat with rust killer. Acid etch primer. A couple of top coats and laquer. It lasted about 5 weeks before i saw rust coming through again. What a waste of time. Spend your 180 quid and get it done properly. Ive been quoted 150 to repair mine. So thats what its going to get. And im also down 40 quid from the diy kit. 

My truck is also silver and its the hardest colour to match. 

Edited by haynes
Added a bit

The advised, that rust will be back. I've refinished dozens of these, the problem is in the steel pressings that ford screwed up thanks to recycled steel. If they're not pattern parts already.

I would shot blast, etch prime, 2k epoxy primer, 2k surfacer, base coat and three coats of clear. Bodyschultz would be option. And the rust will be back. 

Good luck.

Edited by Pistol p

the bloke i got a quote off did say it would return, i am really just trying to prevent the rust taking hold and rotting through completely, the car is 11 years old but i plan on keeping it at least another 5 years! not after a perfect job just something that looks better than rust.

One of the problems is the rust is not restricted to the areas marked. It goes behind the trim and round a corner. I have a sand spot blaster and also a needle scale air tool. I would use them on the affected areas and then do it myself. If it is going to return - take the cheaper option.

I'd grind off as much of the damaged paint as possible, then base coat of red oxide, then match as best with hammerite all along bottom of each side of the car, similar to stone guard covering. That will cover up any imperfections as far as colour matching goes. Even black wouldnt look out of place, after all its only cosmetic. 

52 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I'd grind off as much of the damaged paint as possible, then base coat of red oxide, then match as best with hammerite all along bottom of each side of the car, similar to stone guard covering. That will cover up any imperfections as far as colour matching goes. Even black wouldnt look out of place, after all its only cosmetic. 

not a bad idea, i have just been reading about a paint called por15 thats supposed to be better than hammerite. might be worth looking into.

Rust always comes back, I’ve working in a bodyshop for 20 years and seen thousands of cars repaired with loads of different techniques suggested usually by the car manufacturer as they were all warranty repairs, the rust always comes back! 

The longest lasting action is already suggested above, spot blast it then epoxy prime it. 

Most epoxys have a rust inhibitor and etch built in so no need for Rust eater etch primer etc 

do not sand sand it down as rust is pitted into the surface, sanding will just leave the rust in the panel 

the best thing over it for chipping is sticky back plastic, clear protection film etc 

THIS ^^^^

The first thing you have to realise is that rust killer never kills rust. You have to grind it out to clean shiny metal. If that makes a hole so be it

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:41, paul1966 said:

not a bad idea, i have just been reading about a paint called por15 thats supposed to be better than hammerite. might be worth looking into.

I don't know why but Hammerite is nowhere as good as it used to be, something has been taken out, probably because it is toxic etc

Edited by Vince Green