Melmerby

Scully

I don't do a lot of clay shooting nowadays but do enjoy the odd outing, and as this annual shoot is now less than two miles away,  thought I'd give it a go as it's in a good cause, namely the Great North Air Ambulance and Hospice at Home. The venue is the remains of an old disused quarry on the lower slopes of Hartside on the A686 to Alston and the weather couldnt have been better. 

The thing I like most about these sort of informal shoots is that you get a wide variety of people, mostly who normally don't shoot clays on a regular basis at all but just turn out as its local and a good laugh. There was everyone from an old boy with a damascus barrelled hammer gun ( who knew how to use it ) to a young 'keeper with a S1 Benelli, ( came up very nicely indeed .....am itching to get mine ) the obligatory couple of lads looking as it they'd just finished milking, complete with cartridge belts rigger boots, and of course the odd dedicated clay shooter who was there to win it.

There were five stands of surprisingly testing birds, especially those side on midis against the sun and a simultaneous pair which would vary on the wind but soon drop behind a rise in the ground if you didn't get on them sharp enough, and enough 'no birds' to cause a disturbance to anyones rhythm! 

I met up with loads of folk I hadn't seen in quite a while....long enough to realise we're all getting older, and made some new friends. There were a lot of smiling faces and I was pleasantly surprised at just how many folk turned up to shoot, and very pleased at the number of female shooters, one of whom I wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear had won it. Good to watch. 

Anyhow, a cracking larl day. The bacon sarnies were great. 👍

5 hours ago, guzzicat said:

THE ROAD WILL BE QUIETER FOLLOWING THE SAD DEMISE OF HARTSIDE CAFE,MY BROTHER LIVES IN MELMERBY.

Road just as busy according to locals; cafe owner is running a mobile unit for the time being. 

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Son used to regularly go to the Hartside cafe with his mates for a drive out and take photos.

Who was the lady shooter Scully ?

I don’t know, and had never seen her before. Will try to find out, and who won it. 

24 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Beautiful part of the world up there, shoot regularly over Skirwith way, will be up on Saturday actually on the rooks, crows and magpies, sounds like good fun Scully glad you had a good day.

scobydog

It’s a small world....I live 1.5 miles from Skirwith, and you’re right, it is a wonderful part of the world. The magpies need sorting out; I counted seven between Ousby and Skirwith the other morning! Have fun. 

7 hours ago, scobydog said:

Had a good day yesterday my mate and I got 97 on the rooks and crows, farmer was very pleased, not a single magpie seen, glorious day bright sun and just the right temperature with a bit of wind .

scobydog

Sounds good. We had a similar morning today on winter barley but not as many as you. I think i've only ever decoyed one magpie, and I think that was more by luck than design. We have great success trapping them on the rough shoot, but no one seems to do it around here, which is surprising given the amount of game shooting which goes on. 

Hi Scully, the farmer has a gamekeeper friend from Allendale way who often does a bit of trapping on his farm early in the year, he has pretty good results on the magpies and crows, then you don't see him til the following year, just too busy I suppose. Will be back up in a couple of weeks hopefully to give them another bashing.

Atb scobydog