Cordless drill/screwdriver

harrycatcat1

Can someone recommended a reasonably priced drill/screwdriver type thing used occasionally as my Aldi one just packed up this morning. It was only a 19.99 one. They do have some coming up at Aldi at 49.99 with two batteries, has anyone got one of those? The reason I say Aldi as they have a three year warranty. Most others only have 12 months. 

Tia

5 minutes ago, Mike_ said:

Im sure Lidl had some cheap ones called Parkside? Started a new DIY range, They looked ok for occasional use but had nothing on dewalt.
I take it you want cordless?

Ah yes sorry cordless.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-brushless-drill-driver/p/082864209100600

Whats the difference between this one and ....

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-combi-drill/p/082854214104700

I am only a diy not professional user.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

The difference is that one has carbon brushes passing the current, the other doesn't and is superior. I have a Stanley Fatmax, three Dewalt, two Guild (sold by Homebase) and a small 12v Workzone.

Never had a problem with any. I have yet to find a screw that the cheapest, Workzone wont screw in.

The Guild have been excellent and a pleasant surprise - one drill, one impact driver.

Either of the Lidl or Aldi would be my choice - three year warranty. Only had to take back one tool to Lidl - two years old - money back without any comment or quibble. I would not pay a premium for DeWalt. Fine, but not as good as the Stanley and cost more.

12 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Ah yes sorry cordless.

Whats the difference between this one and ....

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-combi-drill/p/082854214104700

I am only a diy not professional user.

This one has a higher torque rating

Edited by Mike_

32 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The Guild have been excellent and a pleasant surprise - one drill, one impact driver.

Either of the Lidl or Aldi would be my choice - three year warranty. Only had to take back one tool to Lidl - two years old - money back without any comment or quibble. I would not pay a premium for DeWalt. Fine, but not as good as the Stanley and cost more.

+1 on the Guild, I have the small ish drill.
Thought it was rubbish when I first got it , but after a few charges it came into its own, powerful and long lasting.
Think it was about £30 a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Can someone recommended a reasonably priced drill/screwdriver type thing used occasionally as my Aldi one just packed up this morning. It was only a 19.99 one. They do have some coming up at Aldi at 49.99 with two batteries, has anyone got one of those? The reason I say Aldi as they have a three year warranty. Most others only have 12 months. 

Tia

I have an earlier 16v  Li ion model that I have just completed a full house refurb with and still going  -  only downside was only one battery.

May well invest in the 18v tho'.

i use the Argos value hammer drill - its 14v with a screwdriver, drill and hammer function, size wise its midway between a mini drill driver and a full size

Its more than capable for what i need around the house and the hammer function managed to get me 100mm into breeze block and i screwed down a complete set of loft boards with it (set to drill mind you) - it wont even dent a proper brick mind!

I am going to purchase the Aldi one as my 10 year old Workzone  18 volt Ni cad Batts (I had a replacement 5 years ago) are no longer available. (I have been in touch with Austria this morning).  The Batts not dead yet but it`s not holding the capacity it once did, so thought I would get ahead in the game. May take the Batt pack apart and try and see what is holding it back, not hopeful as the pack still shows 18 volts in a discharged no load state.

I guess nothing lasts forever. I have such good customer service from both Aldi and Lidl with their tools and electrical products (night vision monocular, Japanese grill, and a Vax carpet washer) all sorted with no problems at all.

2 Batts and a 3 year warranty, what`s not to like?

Edited by Flyboy1950

Another massive vote for Aldi stuff!!!

This morning I had a phone call out of the blue from Austria to tell me that they have a number of 18 volt batteries that they have had returned with faulty drills, nothing at all wrong with the batteries and they are sending me one free of all charges including postage, will get it in a few days. 

Don`t you just wish all companies customer service was this good.

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Another massive vote for Aldi stuff!!!

This morning I had a phone call out of the blue from Austria to tell me that they have a number of 18 volt batteries that they have had returned with faulty drills, nothing at all wrong with the batteries and they are sending me one free of all charges including postage, will get it in a few days. 

Don`t you just wish all companies customer service was this good.

Nice result 👍

Freebie battery arrived from Austria as promised yesterday 28th, (2 days) No postage either.  As said before, fantastic customer service. It seems that Ni Cad batteries are no longer being made due to some EU environmental regulation,  so all will be Li ion cells powered soon. Makes sense I suppose as there are lots of kits using 3 different tools powered by the one battery.

Thank you Aldi.

7 hours ago, deny essex said:

Ive had the Aldi one for near 2 years , does everything I need it for from timber , concrete and metal and respectively good running battery time

My last Aldi one that I took back lasted 2 years and 11 months and I went to put some curtain rails up for my lad it just wouldn't do anything. It worked perfect a few days before.

My new Aldi one arrived the other day and I am chuffed with it but the screwdriver bits seem a bit naff.