moving countys

steve 88

Hi all.

I am going to be moving from Hertfordshire to Dorset ,How much hassle am I locking at? ,in changing location with my guns (FAC), what's the proses,  moving gun safe, transporting guns and safe and location of safe in new home ,do you need to leave guns with FAD while paper work is changing  and ok from new FAO . any info would be most great full

Regards Steve  

It’s just as normal as moving house. I informed my FEO where I was moving from and where to, moved all my guns and cabinets to new address on the day I moved, then informed FEO when all was fixed in place, he called round to check, then new tickets followed shortly after. I did this twice ( moved house ) in the space of eight months; same procedure each time. 

18 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I moved from Thames Valley to Police Scotland. I left all my guns at my RFD until all my security was in place, cabinets bolted in etc. I then moved them in and just applied for a change of address. I had no trouble at all.

Very similar, I moved from Kent to Sussex. I just stored my guns at the RFD until the new safe was intsalled. I get my guns back, then called the local firearms officer to arrange a visit and get my cert updated.  It was very easy, quick and no problems at all.

You have to inform your current Firearms Team of your new address and the date of moving not the new one. When I moved here, I installed the cabinets on the day I moved in, chucked the guns in there and 10 months later the new FEO bothered to come and have a look. 

things can get a bit complicated when you have multiple homes in different parts of the country but you have to point out, what I am doing is legal, its not my problem if the police in Wales don't like the Met and won't reply to your messages. That's your problem not mine.

Edited by Vince Green

44 minutes ago, walshie said:

You have to inform your current Firearms Team of your new address and the date of moving not the new one. When I moved here, I installed the cabinets on the day I moved in, chucked the guns in there and 10 months later the new FEO bothered to come and have a look. 

I told both as one is notoriously inefficient, as the other told me.

On 24/09/2018 at 20:32, Vince Green said:

things can get a bit complicated when you have multiple homes in different parts of the country but you have to point out, what I am doing is legal, its not my problem if the police in Wales don't like the Met and won't reply to your messages. That's your problem not mine.

I installed a gun cabinet in a rented home in Bristol and held a licence in South Wales. As I was renting it counted it as a temp address and my address in Wales was my parents so I kept my licence with SW Police. 

I spoke with both forces and they listed my rented address as a “security address”. South Wales asked Bristol to come inspect my cabinet but when I spoke with the office in Bristol they said no need and it was my responsibility to ensure that it was done properly. 

When I bought in Bristol I applied to change over to Bristol for my licence. Fair play I found them both good to deal with. 

Its so hit and miss it’s a bit of a joke really.