2 nd Time Lucky

Clodhopper

Yesterday I had watched a wheat drilling on some very poor land that often produces a bit of sport post drilling. There were not a huge number of birds here, maybe 100, but there were 2 steady lines to the field so I made plans to meet up with JDog at midday to have a bit of sport.

We duly met and found a tractor rolling the drilling, not to worry I thought as he would only be another hour or so. I spoke to the driver he said he was backwards and forwards between the rolls and feeding the drill so expected to be on and off the field for most of the afternoon. We watched a little while and it soon became obvious that the lines were being disrupted by the tractor.

We headed off to look for other opportunities and found some on some wheat stubble, again not a huge amount but enough to give it a go. We set up in our usual fashion, 2 hides 50 yards apart with the pattern inbetween. We used 2 magnets and a flapper as the birds had a lot of stubble to go at and were coming from a.long way off so we needed to get their attention.

They came immediately and we had a flurry of shots and 7 down inside 10 mins. Birds came in ones, two's and small group,often leaving some of their number behind. This went on for about 90 minutes when it seemed a switch had been flicked and the line changed with birds heading to the far end of the farm. As we were nearing our cut off point we decided not to move but pack up as we had had some good fun in the time we were there. 

We thought we had about 30 birds down which was great after originally setting a target of 20. Jasper worked hard through the spinney behind us, finding birds in the brambles. This brought the finally tally to 39 for a couple of hours out in the field.

Thanks for reading.

Clodhopper.

Good to know you are still finding enough pigeons , nearly 40 in a couple of hours is a nice way to spend the afternoon in the sunshine and getting a fair bit of sport , hopefully with more to come.

I spent a hour yesterday yarning to the tractor driver while he was ploughing the wheat stubble , in that time we never hardly saw a pigeon and when i walked back around the headlands the acorns are now dropping to the ground , so apart from some Maize still to be cut I think this years pigeon shooting is coming to a close .

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Has JDog got a strop on or what.....he dont post no more...bound to have upset someone...

I believe he has retired from public life. Now in his twilight years, he spends his time hidden away in the darkest depths of the wolds tending to his Masculinus Dendron Gigantium and trimming bushes for local old ladies. Or so he tells me😉.