Labour's new policy

Gordon R

I noted that Labour suggests giving workers a say in the way a company is run, extending to shares in the company and seats on the board. The thinking being that workers should share in the wealth of the company that they helped prosper. It sounds to have some merit, but will the reverse apply?

If the company goes under, will those same people share the debts?

It's  good idea in principle but won't work in the modern world IMO. The company will just register itself somewhere else and keep the 10%, or what ever labour propose to be sold at market rate.

As for seats on the board. See above, why would a company give away a seat on the board, when it can base itself somewhere else and not have the hassle.. Can't see this ever being a workable policy without companies abandoning the uk.

There has got to be a better way of doing things than the current rinsing of employees, but I can't see how the proposed labour policy will be workable. I'll admit I've not read all the fine details so happy to be corrected/educated.

Many large firms offer share save where you option shares at a 20% discount for three years with the option to buy at the original price. I also like the idea of a workers seat on the board as is common certainly in Germany if not other parts of Europe. This proposed scheme seems to go to the extreme though. How can owners be forced to give away what there shareholders own?

Found this-

By BBC business editor Simon Jack

Many companies offer incentives and discounts to employees who wish to build a shareholding over time. That is not the same as taking 10% of the company away from its current owners to stick in a fund for the workers and the government's benefit, which seems to be what the shadow chancellor is proposing.

For a start, the workers will not be able to buy and sell the shares - so they won't really "own" them in a traditional sense. They will be eligible to receive dividends on the shares up to a value of £500 per worker per year. The government gets the rest.

The Labour Party reckons this will raise about £2bn a year. It could end up much more. Let's take just one company - bumper dividend-payer Shell. Ten percent of its £12bn annual dividend comes to £1.2bn.

If each of its 6,500 UK employees got £500 each (totalling £3.25m) that leaves £1.116bn for the government. That's just from one company - every year. 

Will it be a cost before tax? Will it apply to foreign workers or just those in the UK? Who will the shares come from? 

For my wife's company a 10% divi would be £157M. For the UK workers (say 1000) that would be £157000 each, so if the divi is capped at £500 it would leave £156m + for the government to play with. 🤣

Bring back Blair where has the middle ground in politics gone? 

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Bring back Blair

During Tony Blair's 10 years in office he has fought more wars than any previous British prime minister, he supported the vile dictator Gadaffi in Libya, granted immunity/release to IRA murderers, mortgaged the future with PFI contracts, introduced the hunting ban, vastly increased immigration and was at least in part responsible for the 2008 financial crisis (about the one shortcoming to which he has admitted) ....... overall he single handedly did more damage to this country than anything since WW2.

Some of the theory seems well meaning but in practice?  Well Amazon doesn't pay dividends so they won't get them, Unilever has moved its registered HQ abroad (a Brexit thing?) and I'm sure many may follow suit if Labour get in to avoid what is effectively a 10% increase in corporation tax and a hostile business environment.  The net effect could well be a smaller tax take.  There was also talk of not reimbursing companies when nationalised  (a bit tin-pot regimish, also very much like not implementing referendum results).  Mr McDonnell is an 'unashamed Marxist' who wishes to 'transform the economy by overthrowing Capitalism' so expect more of it.  

I've previously highlighted the background of some of the key people behind Labour so expect more of this sort of thing.  One of them believes the 'deep state' (remember that thread?) is behind the anti-semitism claims and it could also be against their future foreign policy.  Meanwhile a Union boss said that Israel orchestrated the anti-semitism row.  MP deselection thresholds have been lowered, committee, rather than the Labour deputy would be in charge if Mr Corbyn were incapacitated.  Members are being told to 'leave if they're not with the program'.  The tone of the whole thing is worrying.  Index linked final salary pensions have never looked so attractive.

Edited by yod dropper

17 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I noted that Labour suggests giving workers a say in the way a company is run, extending to shares in the company and seats on the board. The thinking being that workers should share in the wealth of the company that they helped prosper. It sounds to have some merit, but will the reverse apply?

If the company goes under, will those same people share the debts?

Labours new policy.    ...... Promise them anything.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

During Tony Blair's 10 years in office he has fought more wars than any previous British prime minister, he supported the vile dictator Gadaffi in Libya, granted immunity/release to IRA murderers, mortgaged the future with PFI contracts, introduced the hunting ban, vastly increased immigration and was at least in part responsible for the 2008 financial crisis (about the one shortcoming to which he has admitted) ....... overall he single handedly did more damage to this country than anything since WW2.

And finished off private handgun ownership.

52 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Labours new policy.    ...... Promise them anything.

That has almost always been Labour's policy when in opposition.  Sad thing is today's snowflake generation believe them.  There was a teaching assistant on the Labour conference today who - in a nutshell said that if children were properly taught in schools, there would be no Tories. 

How can someone with those views be allowed anywhere near a school?

Unfortunately - this reminds me of the wretched Blair again - which his 3 policies ..... Education, Education and Education.

The same idiot teaching assistant said there would be no criminals, if Labour were in power. I don't know what planet the cretin came from, but it wasn't Planet Reality.

I assume that he would have prevented Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, the Krays, Harold Shipman, Peter Sutcliffe becoming criminals. You think that Chuka Umunna, John McDonnell, Diane Abbott, David Lammy and Jeremy Corbyn would be enough idiots for one party, but up pops another.

Edited by Gordon R

42 minutes ago, fern01 said:

If I owned a company I would make sure it either did not exceed 250 employees or move the registration abroad.

If you OWNED the company it wouldn't apply, because there wouldn't be shares and the company wouldn't have a board. This is where Labour is so stupid it makes your eyes water. They want so badly to stick it to the big employers but they don't realise all these companies can just evade the rules in so many ways. Mostly to the detriment of the work force

54 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

That has almost always been Labour's policy when in opposition.  Sad thing is today's snowflake generation believe them.  There was a teaching assistant on the Labour conference today who - in a nutshell said that if children were properly taught in schools, there would be no Tories. 

How can someone with those views be allowed anywhere near a school?

Unfortunately - this reminds me of the wretched Blair again - which his 3 policies ..... Education, Education and Education.

+1

29 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The same idiot teaching assistant said there would be no criminals, if Labour were in power. I don't know what planet the cretin came from, but it wasn't Planet Reality.

I assume that he would have prevented Myra Hindley, Ian Brady, the Krays, Harold Shipman, Peter Sutcliffe becoming criminals. You think that Chuka Umunna, John McDonnell, Diane Abbott, David Lammy and Jeremy Corbyn would be enough idiots for one party, but up pops another.

+1

14 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

If you OWNED the company it wouldn't apply, because there wouldn't be shares and the company wouldn't have a board. This is where Labour is so stupid it makes your eyes water. They want so badly to stick it to the big employers but they don't realise all these companies can just evade the rules in so many ways. Mostly to the detriment of the work force

+1

16 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

In fact, most big companies are already quite substantially owned by a great many of us ...... through savings and pension funds.  But one must remember that savings and one's own pension make one independent of easy state control ...... and Labour want's everyone controlled by the state, so they only vote for the party who gives the most state handouts.

Of course what they would like most is a one party state, like Venezuela or North Korea.