Extended Hedge Trimmer.

The Heron

Anyone on here use one of the above I need to purchase one to cut the top and side of my garden hedge the height of the hedge is about 12-15 feet above ground and I don't want to use a power tool off a ladder or a set of steps the petrol ones seem to be very heavy but do I buy a battery or a corded trimmer any recommendations or suggestions welcome thanks.

I've seen guys using a petrol hedge cutter with an extension and it looks pretty easy, I've currently got an Aldi battery hedge cutter, its much easier having no cable that's for sure, and light weight so I'm happy using a ladder. My neighbour has got an extended electric one with a saw attachment but I've no idea what its like

another idea is get a small platform or scaffold that you can work from?

I have a stihl petrol trimmer with an extension pole.  It's not that heavy to use as it's pretty well balanced, I'd certainly buy petrol again over battery if I had to replace it.  They are a great piece of kit generally - no faffing with steps etc, and you can cover a large area of hedge with relatively little effort.  Great piece if kit.

12 to 15 feet above the ground is very tall to use a pole hedge trimmer, not seen one long enough to use from the ground. Even with steps or a platform its surprising how little you can reach. I have a Shindaiwa  Pole hedge trimmer which is very sharp and light but still get tiring at arms length above your head after an hour or so.

I have a two stroke (pre mix) Mytox with long pole hedge trimmer (plus strimmer, brush cutter, chain saw). A good product and although well balanced it did get very tiring on a long hedge some +8ft high. I solved the problem by having the hedge reduced to 6ft. An option worthy of consideration.

I had privet hedges 12ft tall and even with an extended petrol trimmer I used a low platform, its tiring holding those things high above your head for any length of time.
I eventually reduced the hedge down to 7-8ft and it became very manageable.

I second the Stihl recommendations, plus all the attachments, I suppose it really depends how much more tree and hedge areas you have.

Titan stuff from screwfix is decent enough. I have there 5 tool multi-tool, Big breaker, small breaker and jigsaw,it all does the job and is cheap. EG multi-tool= extension pole,  strimmer, chain saw attachment, hedge trimmer, Brush cutter, was £149 and I've used it a lot. 

On 25/09/2018 at 16:20, B725 said:

I also have the Titan strimmer hedge cutter and chain saw with the extension pole and have been pleased with it

Same here, never expected it to last but 3 years on and it’s looking a bargain.  At £150 it was £450 less than the stihl equivalent I would have liked but just couldn’t justify. Does all I need and has seen a fair bit of work so far