Mt Doom ready to blow..Or not..

Rewulf

You may have heard of the next impending disaster for European air travel in the form of Icelands Katla volcano.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/katla-volcano-scientists-warn-huge-icelandic-volcano-is-about-to-erupt-dwarfing-2010-ash-cloud-a3943411.html

But is it ?
Or is the original report taken completely out of context ?

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2018/09/24/volcanologist_unhappy_about_sunday_times_katla_repo/

So , a simple case of misunderstanding journos sensationalising the story ?
If you google 'Katla volcano erupting', you get a massive amount of hits saying that its about to blow, same as last year, and the year before...
Even though the vulcanologists said no such thing, and didnt last year either ....
The fact that its supposed to 'go off' every 50 years 'and is well overdue' means nothing , Im pretty certain volcanoes dont have a timepiece to check.

The other interesting part is the fact that this particular volcano, of which there are many many more on Iceland (amongst others around the world) is kicking out CO2 on a pretty industrial scale 'kilotons' sounds a lot more dramatic than thousands doesnt it ?
I wonder if the Icelanders need to buy some black market carbon credits ?

The reason I stumbled over the story was down to someone (In Australia) believing it to be some kind of media distraction story.
Im not sure , but interesting none the less.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The other interesting part is the fact that this particular volcano, of which there are many many more on Iceland (amongst others around the world) is kicking out CO2 on a pretty industrial scale 'kilotons' sounds a lot more dramatic than thousands doesnt it ?

Another inconvenient truth that our politicos don`t want us to realise, along with all the other naturally occurring releases of CO2 in the environment. They would far rather frighten the masses and try and rein us into their line of thinking, with electric cars, solar power and wind farms. Bah Humbug.

11 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Another inconvenient truth that our politicos don`t want us to realise, along with all the other naturally occurring releases of CO2 in the environment. They would far rather frighten the masses and try and rein us into their line of thinking, with electric cars, solar power and wind farms. Bah Humbug.

It has also been estimated, although some scientists disagree (guess who), that over 70% of the atmospheric methane is produced by the swamp areas in equatorial and sub equatorial regions.

2 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Ah, but there is an agenda afoot you see.....and a money making one at that. 

1 hour ago, krugerandsmith said:

Magnus Magnusson perhaps? or his daughter.

Fair enough;  I haven’t seen his daughter. 

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You may have heard of the next impending disaster for European air travel in the form of Icelands Katla volcano.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/katla-volcano-scientists-warn-huge-icelandic-volcano-is-about-to-erupt-dwarfing-2010-ash-cloud-a3943411.html

But is it ?
Or is the original report taken completely out of context ?

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2018/09/24/volcanologist_unhappy_about_sunday_times_katla_repo/

So , a simple case of misunderstanding journos sensationalising the story ?
If you google 'Katla volcano erupting', you get a massive amount of hits saying that its about to blow, same as last year, and the year before...
Even though the vulcanologists said no such thing, and didnt last year either ....
The fact that its supposed to 'go off' every 50 years 'and is well overdue' means nothing , Im pretty certain volcanoes dont have a timepiece to check.

I wonder if the Icelanders need to buy some black market carbon credits ?

The reason I stumbled over the story was down to someone (In Australia) believing it to be some kind of media distraction story.
Im not sure , but interesting none the less.

The sooner it blows the better, the world has gone mad.  Now who am I today oh! yes now where did I put my Lipstick 😁.

I'm off to Iceland on 27th Oct.......

I was in San Francisco 2 weeks before the 1989 earthquake.

I was stood on the roof of the WTC, 2 weeks before it came down.

I was in Iceland 2 weeks before the last major eruption.

My Mrs thinks I'm a jinx🙄

So..........  I think it's safe to say that Katla will no doubt blow on, or around 10th November😎

11 hours ago, KB1 said:

I'm off to Iceland on 27th Oct.......

I was in San Francisco 2 weeks before the 1989 earthquake.

I was stood on the roof of the WTC, 2 weeks before it came down.

I was in Iceland 2 weeks before the last major eruption.

My Mrs thinks I'm a jinx🙄

So..........  I think it's safe to say that Katla will no doubt blow on, or around 10th November😎

**** me do your mates call you Jonah!