Any car insurance experts on here?

Dave-G

A friend recently had a dashcam proven - and insurance agreed non fault accident while carrying a passenger. His front seat passenger has minor ongoing aches and pains that he's self medicating as needed and has been advised he's entitled to some payout even with no evident signs of injury as the accident was more than 5MPH whilst wearing a seatbelt. The passenger is also driver.

I'm bearing in mind that premiums are sometimes known to rise even for blameless drivers if involved in non fault accidents. 

If the passenger accepts a compensation payment does he need to declare it when renewing his own car insurance - and will it affect the premium he pays in any way?

2 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

A friend recently had a dashcam proven - and insurance agreed non fault accident while carrying a passenger. His front seat passenger has minor ongoing aches and pains that he's self medicating as needed and has been advised he's entitled to some payout even with no evident signs of injury as the accident was more than 5MPH whilst wearing a seatbelt. The passenger is also driver.

I'm bearing in mind that premiums are sometimes known to rise even for blameless drivers if involved in non fault accidents. 

If the passenger accepts a compensation payment does he need to declare it when renewing his own car insurance - and will it affect the premium he pays in any way?

No. 

The claim is against the person at fault. It is against their insurance. It is not the same as making a claim on his own insurance when the other party is at fault and getting his insurance to get them to pay up. 

He is instructing a solicitor to get a payment from the liable party.

Iirc , when you renew your insurance policy,  the question asked is , have you been involved in any accident ,resulting in a insurance claim ,in the last five years ?. I'm not an expert, but ,I reckon it might have some bearing on future policies. 

Somebody that knows for sure will be along shortly.

48 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Iirc , when you renew your insurance policy,  the question asked is , have you been involved in any accident ,resulting in a insurance claim ,in the last five years ?. I'm not an expert, but ,I reckon it might have some bearing on future policies. 

Somebody that knows for sure will be along shortly.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it worded

'Have you been in any accidents in the last 5 years regardless of blame' 

I wouldn't even claim for a windscreen on my insurance despite what they say about it not affecting my no claims. 

Are you asking whether the driver or the passenger has to declare the accident on their next renewal? 

The driver certainly will. I'm not 100% whether the passenger will, but I'm leaning towards saying yes, although I'd suggest he raises ut with his insurer on renewal for certainty. 

In terms of premium increase, the annoying thing for both is that, even if neither was at fault, there's a strong chance their premiums will increase anyway. Insurance premiums are calculated based on risk, and if you've been involved in an accident then you're considered a different risk to someone who hasn't, and so the premium will be calculated accordingly. 

4 hours ago, Novice said:

Are you asking whether the driver or the passenger has to declare the accident on their next renewal? 

I'm asking if the passenger needs to declare any involvement in receiving any insurance claim payout in the last 5 years - and will the event, declared or not, impact any future insurance premiums. 

I have found this - and wonder if there is some kind of 'claim score' going on in a similar way to credit scoring - am I being pedantic or realistic?

What is the Claims Underwriting Exchange?

CUE was established in 1994 to keep a record of claims. It’s also the UK's general insurance and industry claims register. Its members include major insurers and self-insured organisations like local authorities.

The idea behind it was to manage the level of fraudulent claims by tracking data sent to them by insurers.

By allowing insurers access to details of incidents, it makes it harder for people to commit fraud or lie about their claims history. 

CUE hold data on three main policies - these are motor, home and personal injury. But it has recently expanded to deal with travel insurance too. 

What’s stored on CUE? 

The data relates to incidents reported to insurers that may or may not give rise to a claim. As well as accidents, this includes theft, break-ins, or personal injury.

These make up a database of "incidents" that are reported to insurance companies which assist with the reduction of fraudulent claims.

According to the CUE website, there are 34.2 million records and 64.3 million search enquiries per year.

By using CUE, insurers can be more accurate with pricing as it can provide data validation for insurers. 

This means insurers can deal with customers more efficiently by using a consistent record of their claims history.

You can view the data they hold on you by submitting a subject access request form. New laws coming into place in May this year mean that you will no longer have to pay for this.

Copied from here: 

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/motor-insurance-databases

Edited by Dave-G

32 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Yes your premium will rise by 15% regardless who was at fault, insurance look at it if you are involved in a accident statistics show you are more of a risk although it was not your fault. (Now work that one out)

Are you sure that applies to a passenger?

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

If a claim is made on the policy (yes) all accidents have to be declared on renewal & they will load you 15% regardless who was at fault. Even if a claim is not made once it is reported it will go on the insurance database. 

Please forgive me but I'm slightly dyslexic and may not be stating thigs clearly enough.  This thread is about a passenger in someone else's vehicle.

Are you categorically saying that passenger has to declare it when he renews HIS OWN insurance: IE a claim was not made on his own policy?