Hunting pellets

Salmo

I use 10.34 Heavy Exact Diablo in my TX200 and find they do the job very well, accurate and knock barn pigeons down no problem.  I did use the lighter Exact but find the 10.34 seem to hit harder in the TX200 but of course it is also a bit about what your rifle enjoys.  My squirrel shots are always head and most all pellets will do the job there, you just need to be able to put it on target.  The 10,34s however do punch through and make a big hole.

I'll get my tin hat at the ready, but I have never considered a .177 as suitable for live quarry shooting, in a previous life I worked in pest control and worked on several contracts relating to feral pigeons in an urban situation. At night with a lamp, I shot them on the their roost with a .177, many, many of them, though hit, flew away and fell many yards away, in the road or on adjacent parkland!........the .177 has accuracy, speed and flat trajectory, but in my experience, insufficient blow!........I reverted to a .22 and the problem never reoccurred! That was around 50 years ago and things may have changed, but I have never used a .177 on live quarry since.

On pigeon boddies with a typical 50 year old springer putting out 9.5 fpe and very poorly designed /bc pellets id definatly agree .the .22 would do better .

And even today a .22 will penetrate to the vital organs better than the equivalent  .177 .so for body shots again the .22 should win .

But if we are talking rabbits with head shots at 40 yds. Where the trajectory is harder to judge (sub 12 ) with a .22 and the tendancy of the round nose .22 pellet to over penetrate and impart less energy than the .177 .

Then id say the sub 12 .22 is bordering on unsuitable and id stick with .177 for its better accuracy .trajectory and terminal performance. 

Just now, Prospero said:

.177 is undoubtedly a ladies calibre. 😂😂😈🙊🙈🙉

That would make .22 a babies cal then 

22 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I'll get my tin hat at the ready, but I have never considered a .177 as suitable for live quarry shooting, in a previous life I worked in pest control and worked on several contracts relating to feral pigeons in an urban situation. At night with a lamp, I shot them on the their roost with a .177, many, many of them, though hit, flew away and fell many yards away, in the road or on adjacent parkland!........the .177 has accuracy, speed and flat trajectory, but in my experience, insufficient blow!........I reverted to a .22 and the problem never reoccurred! That was around 50 years ago and things may have changed, but I have never used a .177 on live quarry since.

Mmmhmm. and England are still the best team in the world after winning the world cup...

3 hours ago, figgy said:

I watched a test other year and at range 40 yards or so both the .177 has the same energy as the .22 so size really don t matter they both hit with same kinetic energy.

But the penetration versus the knock down power (blow) was my area of concern, the .177 had the penetration but less knock down (blow) the .22 had the knock down (blow) power, I hit several pigeon with the .177 but some although obviously hit, they flew off to collapse some way off....subsequently the .22 knocked em down on impact!

Just my findings, I needed to show the client the results of the nights work, walking the streets in the early hrs of the morning or scanning the park with a lamp (although the police had been informed!) trying to collect the slain was not really a sensible option....so the .22 it was from thereonin!

• 1 month later...

Tried both over 50 years. without doubt the .177 domehead is the best all round pellet for all airgun hunting. Old school lore was .22 for fur, .177 for feather and it's not wrong except that .177 will drop any furred quarry if you hit it in the right place. Thats where .177 is best. Trajectory is flatter, range estimation isn't so critical.

There's plenty of tests to prove it if you need proof.

On 26/09/2018 at 22:01, Salmo said:

Best .177 pellets for rabbit / pigeon /crow etc . Being used through a HW 95 k ..... I’ve been away for air rifles for years and just bought a new one 

Get a H&N trial pack from fleabay and try them to see which is form most accurate at you max shooting distance.

Pellets have moved on since the 90's, never mind the 60's as alluded to above.

Round head designs are classic but pellets such as Barracuda Extremes have moved the game on quite a bit.

Just discovered hidden behind a whole pile of forgotten bits and pieces an almost new box of 500 Eley Wasp .22s. I have no idea of their age but certainly after decimalisation as they cost me a round figure of £3.24 inc VAT.    Have to give them a go. They look a plump little projectile which should do nasty things to tree rats heads.  We will see ...shame to waste them.