Hunting pellets

Salmo

Hi W570, if those wasps are from the 70s and you don't use them I will have them from you.  Hobbies and wasps is all we used to use back then in our Airsporters and Mercury's for pigeon and ratting.  Best witnessed ratting shot I ever did was with .177 wasps with my then Mercury was a river shot rat at over 55 yds with a upper body shot and it killed it stone dead..and my best woodie was ..with the same rifle a real long one a chest shot up a 50ft high right on top of a tree  about 45 yds away with open sights...I like the old wasps.  My eyesight has faded somewhat now so those shots are far behind me now. 

This is something I do not understand with todays shooters who go on about max kill rangers up to 30 yds , I can throw a stone 30 yds with little effort and we use high powered telescopic sights and rifles that inflict serious damage on what we can shoot at...at quite long range with average marksmanship.  I never bother with head shots ..rats birds rabbits all upper body shots I really dont get the it must be a head shot lot....no sorry it doesn't.

Cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

MM   those Wasps will get plenty of use believe me.  I like the look of them and feel they will do the job.   I do agree with your thoughts on head shots. Yes, I do use a head shot on tree rats, most of the time because my set ups are such that head is dead is easily achieved but should I have one which will not sit still long enough, then should it falter just once it will have very sore ribs.  With deer I never take a head shot. It has to be side on where I can hit that little dimple behind the front shoulder/leg and ensure the meat will be well drained of blood before I get to it.

I have hunting friends who head shoot then stick a knife in the front chest ...to bleed it they say ... well the brain is dead so the pump has stopped....how does that work?

I do not shoot long range in normal circumstances, yes I folded my pronghorn antelope at 500yrds but we had stalked that particular animal for two full days already and my guide said we needed to shoot..... NOW! 

I always say I like to stalk and stroke 'em first...that is what hunting is all about isn't it?

Yes I don't see that one either about the dead head and heart still going..maybe a medical person can enlighten us both on that one.  When I say body shots I generally mean a frontal chest shot either cal's will do as mentioned they have the power for this, I think people forget how powerful an air rifle is when it hits its target especially the newbies to our sport/lifestyle.  But I do understand that we should be cautious about the ranges we shoot at with sub 12's there are limits as said accuracy kill's not power..but power helps.

500 yds is a big distances and I see that maybe a head shot is maybe difficult compared to an area on the larger body area.  Even at 200yds you have to be quite still to take that shot and keep the crosshairs still on target..something I doubt I could do.  What caliber are you using.

cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

wow that's something, is that a fixed high magnification scope you are using.  I used to be very interested in ballistics back in the 70s and used to get Guns Review if you remember that one, would I be right in saying that your ammo used depending on weight & velocity would be averaging over 3,500 ft lbs.

MM

Those Wasp pellets created a bit of a conundrum.  They weigh 14.8gr and the Mosquitos are 14.35 so no huge difference.  I went to re zero with the Wasps and they felt different when feeding from the magazine than the Mossies, when I fired the first I did not see a fall of shot on the back board 18 inches wide by 24 deep. I initially thought the rifle had taken a knock, so loaded the other magazine with the Mossies and that shot spot on the dot.  I then tried another wasp and saw the pellet this time, it took a deep curving line and missed the backboard to the right by a couple of inches and was right at the lower edge/corner. Shot another with same effect.  It was obvious my AA S200 did not like this pellet one little bit. I expected maybe an inch or two variation but at 10yrds in my undercover range it was crazy.   There is certainly a definite drag feeling as the pellet is pushed forward from the mag into the barrel.  The skirt on the Wasp is twice the thickness of the Mossie and putting them back to back the Wasp does look very slightly bigger.  I wondering if tolerances have changed over the years and these were designed for air rifles in use in the 70s.  Certainly they are of little use to me ........ any takers ?????

Edited by Walker570

On 08/11/2018 at 21:40, suburban shooter said:

Used to shoot squirrels with .22 springer.    Moved on to a PCP in .177  it was like I was cheating.      177 got stolen, replaced it with .22 PCP  

I want to go back to cheating !!!

Still ended up finishing them off with my 22lr 😂 tin hat on, I’ll get my coat 🤭

6 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Still ended up finishing them off with my 22lr 😂 tin hat on, I’ll get my coat 🤭

🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The skirt on the Wasp is twice the thickness of the Mossie and putting them back to back the Wasp does look very slightly bigger.  I wondering if tolerances have changed over the years and these were designed for air rifles in use in the 70s.  Certainly they are of little use to me ........ any takers ?????

have you tried measuring the head size? I'm sure their bigger, something like 5.52, so obviously your barrel doesn't like them.

18 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You are correct they are slightly larger.  Pity because they look like a useful pellet.  If nobody wants them they will go in the melting pot.

With the thread running about the bsa meteor running I would of thought somebody with a older bsa would want them? I've a few but they are 80's and 90's so wouldn't help much. 

Good offer tho 

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:05, Walker570 said:

You are correct they are slightly larger.  Pity because they look like a useful pellet.  If nobody wants them they will go in the melting pot.

I might want them nev? Think the barrel on the bsa i was given is big, I'll measure the wasps he gave me see what size they are.

22 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

God .those tins take me back 30 years. 😉

The magic of opening a new one 

I thought you meant the tins were thirty years old at first, the bsa i was given must have a big barrel, i put an accupell in it when I got it and it didn't seat it dropped in.