interesting video regarding Max distance a shotgun slug can travel

quentyn

Maybe we should ask him to get his mate to stand behind that door at 500 yards and let someone else have a couple of shots , I Could dig out some Brenneke that I’m pretty sure would mess that door up with a couple of shots 🤔

There's a video on youtube of a woman shooting an egg at 300yards with a 22lr. It took several goes to hit it but the misses weren't more than a foot away. 

British Archers were shooting arrows that far 400 years ago. 

I wonder if it's because it's a smoothbore gun.  By the time it gets very far it is  tumbling. 

Years ago there was a guy who brought an ex army 7.62  SLR to the range and couldn't hit the butts at 500 yards, never mind the target. 

Something didn't seem right as every few shots you could hear a fizzing sound as the bullet flew. 

On inspection it turned out the rifling had been worn so badly it was only just about visible. 

Very interesting video, personally I'd have put money on the slugs reaching the door even with a shallow angle of hold over. It may well be that in this particular case the slugs shape and outer  "rifling" coupled to some sort of plastic sealing skirt contributes to slowing them down massively, they are after all meant as very short range hunting shells. 

I know for a fact even a sub 12 ft lb .177 pellet will go a long way with a bit of hold over. 

In Upstate New York, for public safety, deer hunting is restricted to shotguns with slugs because they don't carry all that far when the idiot hunters miss which they do most of the time. 

They do slow down very quickly  they are about as aerodynamic as a brick

Edited by Vince Green

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In Upstate New York, for public safety, deer hunting is restricted to shotguns with slugs because they don't carry all that far when the idiot hunters miss which they do most of the time. 

They do slow down very quickly  they are about as aerodynamic as a brick

indeed i think that this is what people are forgetting 

he increased the angle of the shot and the slug dropped closer - if you look at the demo with the hose at the end you will see what he was getting at