Did or Didn't He ??????

6.5x55SE

Still full of excitement from last Saturday's close encounter with Pink's early morning late nights with work Conor was really keen to try for his first September Pink so keen it took a lot of convincing from myself the Geese would not use the Moon Conor even suggested we sleep in my truck.

Early O'clock saw use set out in what can only be described as a Perfect Moon light sky for shooting something Conor kept reminding me of along the way. Finally pulling into the parking before the engine has stopped Conor was out stairing listening for Geese as i let the Dogs to stretch their legs all I/we could hear was Curlew Duck and the tide as for Geese total silence.

A stop start walk to our chosen spot close to the Reserve Boundary again gave us no clue if any Geese was about. Settling down with the Dogs i hardly finished telling Conor the Pink's could easily moved on as this was common at this time of the year his young ear's again picked up a faint " Wink wink" it was some time in the fast breaking dawn before i 100% heard Pink's then Greylags on the roost. As the wildlife began to awake my old eye's spotted a Skien of very low silent Geese approach " Greylags say's I with great authority " leave them Don't disturb the marsh/morning IF you want the slightest of chances of a Pink. Thankfully those Greylags passed out range because as the turned behind us the morfed into Pink's oooop's even the experienced Fowler can get it wrong.

A exciting but very frustrating flight developed both Pink's and Greylags now flighted inland with several Skiens of easy shootable Greylags right over us the Pink's can only be described a really taking the pee so i told Conor next bunch of Greylags wack em. Watching a skien head to Conor's spot they suddenly rose a shot rang out a goose crumpled within seconds they was upon myself my faithful Steel 20ga load never failed me as i to took a Greylag turning inland to take my goose from my dog i saw a single goose coming back shouting it's head off " Wink wink Wink wink " voice calling even my heat was racing as this Pink was arching round and between us was Conor I'm not religious in anyway but between voice calling even i had a little word upstairs along with Keep coming you Beep Beep within a blink of a eye i saw barrel move gun shot Pink fold's one 17yr old grandson leap up shouting wooping " I've done it Grandad " walking over i was so proud of Conor's achievement after some hugging etc I'd hardly settled down when i to was presented with a half chance at 12-15 Pink's quickly working the bolt ejecting a Steel for a 1oz HW13 i to was rewarded with a Pink for my single shot. As the flight slowed i was about to walk to Conor when 3 Greylags swept towards him his first shot crippled one then he killed it along with a second the one remaining Greylag turned to me only to be met with a Oz of Steel what a morning . As i stood bolt upright sorting my stuff out a single shot from Conor at Greylags caused a bunch of useen or heard Pink's to turn my way even though they was a good 50yrd + without thinking gun up Bang one very dead Pink . Carrying four Geese each back to the Truck Conor had a grin from ear to ear stating I've now had Greylags Canada and Pink's already this September . Job done roll on the November Moon.

8272018134213.jpg

8272018134331.jpg

Excellent result for the pair of you , not exactly the ideal conditions but you boys make the most of any opportunities that make the mistake of coming your way .

I was out last night just to watch the sunset which was alright but not as nice as the night before and then again this morning, and last night and then again this morning I never heard a single shot from anywhere.

We have got a few Pinks down here but only a fraction we can normally expect by the end of September , this might be down to the lack of sugar beet being lifted , at the moment I haven't seen a single field with the beet lifted , but I am sure that will change over the next few weeks .

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Thanks Gent's for your replies 👍 

Keep going Mat I'm sure you will have a result soon

No rush to bag one, still early in the season, already got some greylag in the freezer, i'm more worried about my fac getting back before the end of october!

Theres a few field of beet up near by my inlaws, stuff for the ad plant I believe

Well done Guys.  Always good when the young lads get a result.  Have you got any more shoots (of any sort) planned?  It can be rather addictive to young and old alike, when we get a few, can't it!   We ( my 10 year old son and I ) will be going on our first duck/ goose shoot in October, so hope to get a few!  No doubt that my son will get more than me, as he's a cracking shot...whereas I'm just hopeless!