Variation questions

JABB

Hi

I have put in for a variation on my ticket, after having .22 for over 20 years on an open ticket. ( It certainly didn’t have any land condition on it )
I have had an email back saying 
 Further to the receipt of your variation request, we note that you omitted to provide suitable land for your request.

You currently have only one piece of land on our system which has been cleared up to .22RF for rabbits and vermin.  In order to proceed we require the attached form completed and signed by the landowner giving you permission for the use of the.17HRM for the control of foxes.”

Now, I asked for a .17 to compliment the .22 and didn’t mention fox, or indeed, I don’t want to shoot fox, just rabbits.

Is this right?

Gloucestershire police. 

They say you have only one piece of land on their system and that is passed only up to .22 LR.

you need to give them another perm that is passed at least up to 17hmr. If you ask for fox and it is given accept it.

even though hmr is considered a safer round by many.

Edited by Good shot?

2 hours ago, JABB said:

Hi

I have put in for a variation on my ticket, after having .22 for over 20 years on an open ticket. ( It certainly didn’t have any land condition on it )
I have had an email back saying 
 Further to the receipt of your variation request, we note that you omitted to provide suitable land for your request.

You currently have only one piece of land on our system which has been cleared up to .22RF for rabbits and vermin.  In order to proceed we require the attached form completed and signed by the landowner giving you permission for the use of the.17HRM for the control of foxes.”

Now, I asked for a .17 to compliment the .22 and didn’t mention fox, or indeed, I don’t want to shoot fox, just rabbits.

Is this right?

Gloucestershire police. 

Sounds to me that your land is only cleared up to 22lr mate, 17hmr is a more potent round.

JABB,

Just name one piece of land that you have permission to shoot on, no need to name any other. I had the same when i asked for another 22.250, i was open for all other rifles up to 30.06, i assumed like you that if i was open then i could have any calibre less than 30.06. I asked why I needed to give a piece of land as they already had 1, i just smiled and asked why.

When you look at the logical reasoning it just gets more unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, JABB said:

I thought the idea of an open ticket was so the onus was on the holder to determine the suitability of the land?

Your totally correct, but you still have to prove good reason to have a 17hmr, unfortunately your piece of land is only cleared for 22lr bizarrely so you have no good reason to have it.

It’s strange how it’s only cleared for 22lr, how big is the land? Is there any danger areas ie footpaths, roads, houses? My land was never cleared for anything and I had 22lr 17hmr 223 I only found out this when I asked for 243 and my Feo wanted to come out and ***** the land as it hadn’t been cleared for anything lol go figure. You may be in the same boat?

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

JABB,

Just name one piece of land that you have permission to shoot on, no need to name any other. I had the same when i asked for another 22.250, i was open for all other rifles up to 30.06, i assumed like you that if i was open then i could have any calibre less than 30.06. I asked why I needed to give a piece of land as they already had 1, i just smiled and asked why.

When you look at the logical reasoning it just gets more unbelievable. 

17hmr isn’t less than a 22lr in my opinion, 

hornady 17hmr 2550fps 245ft lbs energy

cci stinger most powerful 22lr round puts out 1640fps 191ft lbs energy 

so a bit more difference in energy so by no means less.

I asked my feo about the hmr when applying. She said well the hmr is fine as the land is cleared for 22 rimfire. The hmr being deemed smaller. I put it to her that its more powerful. No problem she said. 

Ok then what about a 22wmr. Ooh now not sure on that, she said. 

But the land is cleared for 22 rimfire. 

Thats when the conversation finished. Id lost confidence in her by that point. 

On 29/09/2018 at 07:40, Dougy said:

Blimey you do make things difficult for yourselves. 

Jabb, 

Just put your original piece of land on for your HMR.

And give your reason for wanting it. Job done. They are both rimfire so in the same group for clearance. I wouldnt mention for or rabbit just vermin control.

You say you have had your .22 for 20yrs  as been said maybe they will clear your existing land for the 17 HMR as there wasent any about then. Having said that it dosent mean they will open your ticket for the 17 so you will only be able to shoot it on that piece of land if cleared

Edited by Rim Fire

47 minutes ago, JABB said:

I called today. Apparently the lady who emailed has only just started variations and made a mistake.

.17 is classed the same as .22 and all is well.

i should have my ticket back later this week.

open is open

Great result 👍 P.S. where have you been hiding? Aint seen you on here for a while.

On 01/10/2018 at 19:54, JABB said:

I called today. Apparently the lady who emailed has only just started variations and made a mistake.

.17 is classed the same as .22 and all is well.

i should have my ticket back later this week.

open is open

Your .22 lr is open, and really has nothing to do with the .HMR.
Unless, because of your experience , they are giving you the HMR ready opened ?

My FEO sees the HMR as a much more powerful round, but considers land suitable for .22lr also suitable for HMR ?
I would think they just want a reason why you want the calibre, as well as the .22 tbh, if you just say fox, job done.

Well I received it back today. It’s open for both to shoot on land I am lawfully allowed to shoot and has the statement saying it’s up to me to determine lawful quarry.

im pleased with that.

On 01/10/2018 at 20:43, billytheghillie said:

Great result 👍 P.S. where have you been hiding? Aint seen you on here for a while.

I’ve been shooting!

i read from time to time and get advice when needed but sometimes when I start reading, I realise I need more gear and it gets expensive!