Rounds to try for a Howa 243

PPP

Hi Guys

Picked a Howa 243 up today and need some suggestions for rounds to try, will be used for fox, muntjac and Roe.

Currently have a few Federal something shock in 95gr from other gun (Browming likes them) and some Winchester X in 100gr

Dont want to pay more than £30 per box really

Any suggestions for others to try?

Mine loves federal powershok 100 gr. Little meat damage on munty and roe, foxes don't like them much either. Tried hornady - I think they were whitetail, they were about 1/4 moa worse than the federal but still more than good enough at up to 150 yards. Have not shot further than this to be able to comment further.

9 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Mine loves federal powershok 100 gr. Little meat damage on munty and roe, foxes don't like them much either. Tried hornady - I think they were whitetail, they were about 1/4 moa worse than the federal but still more than good enough at up to 150 yards. Have not shot further than this to be able to comment further.

Great, thanks!

Just a thought is it a hunter profiled barrel or a Varmint profile? The thinner (tapered) hunter barrels can be quite fussy, (certainly the .270 and 6.6x55 that I tried were) with factory ammo. The varmint barrels are better at dealing with bigger pressures of Factory ammo. 

My Sako 75 Hunter in .270 was garbage with Federal ammo. The only one that worked was  Remington download which I don’t even know  if they make them anymore. Once I had started reloading it became a tackdriver but not with any rounds that you could buy. 

You could maybe try Sako Gamehead 90g if they have them..?

Another one here for the fed power shock 👍 nice traditional 100 grain soft point , hard hitting , good price . Getting a solid 2980 FPS/ 2000 ftlbs from my sako 24” barrel 

sako game head 100 grn 2887 FPS  / 1851 ftlbs 

sako arrow head 70 grn  3280 FPS 

hornaday 58 grn V max 3950 FPS 

Personally I would go for the federal or the game head 👍 

Try the cheapest first.

If it works with Prvi (many don't) or other cheapo's then it ain't worth paying more or even reloading.

IMHO only progress to Federal / Hornady / Sako / loadsamoney if you need to.

The last 1/2" at 100 yards off the bench does not matter one iota when it's off the sticks, cold, pixxing with rain, at night and in a howling wind.

BTDT

Edited by Eyefor

Thanks guys..

Yes I was starting with the cheapest the shop had 21 quid for the Winchesters, makes sense to me, I’ll see how the federal i have go - would the 95 be much different to 100? 

Unfortunately no privi in the shop I got gun from and take the point about range vs real life..

its the lighter barrel, the gun it heavy enough as it is!!

I put 100g power shock soft points through my m12 for roe and they are excellent. Good accuracy too about half an inch at 100 with no fliers. They will do foxes too but i am starting to see better results from Vmax ballistic tips, with less run on from my .223. If possible I would have a different round for fox and deer where with fox you want to do as much internal damage as quickly as possible and with deer you want to get to the vitals with less peripheral. Don't get me wrong the soft points will drop a fox dead but the vmax will turn it to mush and they are good on other heavy weight varmint too. 

My Sako 75 like the 90grain.243 ppu soft point. Have found ppu/privi in .308/.223 fmj to shoot horribly but always found the expanding in non common military calibres like 7x57 and .243 and .375 h&h to actually shoot well ( just over an inch groups). When I can’t be bothered reloading I go with these. 

The real decision is made for you by what is available in your area to be honest.

Try and keep a written note of your impressions,

Privi is a marmite ammo, some people love it others don't have a good word to say about it. That's life. Same with S&B

With a .243 always start with the lightest bullet. They can tend to be fussy about heavier bullets

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Hornady 75gr super performance 

1F6A7D3A-0D2C-496F-BA34-12AEAD29DEC8.png

I have been reliably informed today that Hornady Superformance ( along with a few other types ) won’t be around for much longer in uk as Hornady use hogden powders, and the ones used in the Superformance ammo do  not comply with the REACH regs . 

9 minutes ago, stevo said:

I have been reliably informed today that Hornady Superformance ( along with a few other types ) won’t be around for much longer in uk as Hornady use hogden powders, and the ones used in the Superformance ammo do  not comply with the REACH regs . 

That shouldn't make any difference at all because REACH  doesn't work that way. The reason Hogdon powders wont go through is because the importer doesn't want to pay the £2000 per powder to get it accredited. Reach only applies to chemical substances imported into the EU, paint, car polish, drain cleaner etc.

Loaded ammo wouldn't come under the terms of REACH.

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

That shouldn't make any difference at all because REACH  doesn't work that way. The reason Hogdon powders wont go through is because the importer doesn't want to pay the £2000 per powder to get it accredited. Reach only applies to chemical substances imported into the EU, paint, car polish, drain cleaner etc.

Loaded ammo wouldn't come under the terms of REACH.

Spose were just have to wait and see 🤔

1 minute ago, stevo said:

Spose were just have to wait and see 🤔

Its a dogs dinner, hundreds of car valeting products from the USA are under threat, virtually all the top end waxes and cleaners, plus custom paints and lacquers are American but the market is small and importers are going bust. A shooting friend of mine imports wax polishes for musical instruments and he is up the creek.

Its an EU protectionist scam in reality to prevent lots of good US made products being imported into the EU . To me its pure malice, its clearly aimed at bringing down the drawbridge on American product because they are superior.