Shooting bag filling

Newbie to this

Hi guys,

I've bought some shooting bags for the range and was just wondering what people find the best thing to fill them with, I don't want to use anything that if they get wet could cause a problem (sand, rice etc.). I was thinking maybe some plastic beads from a hobby store but was worried about that being too lightweight.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Thanks, a good few thing to have a look at, I think I'll have a look at the plastic beads and aquarium gravel. It may well be the gravel for the weight.

:good:

I got a huge bag of pea gravel from local builders yard for next to nothing, works great and drains easily if it gets wet.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Over the years I’ve tried different sand and peas plus other substitutes- having had them all either leak or go damp/start to grow I have finally settled on poly beads and have no complaints.

Where did you get the poly beads and how many roughly will I need to fill the bags. 

These are the bags/rest

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/bipods--rests-shooting-rests/bsarest-bsa-shooting-rest-bean-bags-(self-fill).html

Edit- I've just seen Fizzbangwhallop's link Thanks

Edited by Newbie to this

41 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Where did you get the poly beads and how many roughly will I need to fill the bags. 

These are the bags/rest

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/bipods--rests-shooting-rests/bsarest-bsa-shooting-rest-bean-bags-(self-fill).html

Edit- I've just seen Fizzbangwhallop's link Thanks

3kg for almost identically sized bags 

I use an adjustable (car jack) rifle rest and the front rest is simply a piece of large insulating foam over a slice of plywood. I rarely actually shoot of the front rest as I like to zero as I will be shooting with rifle rested in my hand.   I have shot off and used various bags filled with a variety of material but the pea gravel sounds a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2018 at 21:33, mel b3 said:

My good lady uses anti clump cat litter.

Don't you let her use the loo like normal people do ?????

On 29/09/2018 at 18:15, Newbie to this said:

:good:

Snap just done mine yet to use them though next few days will be trying them out...