This years flu jab

The Heron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had it for the last ten years after getting COPD from all the dust over the years. Never had any bad effects from it, and never had the flu either. So I would say that I've benefited from having it. Saying that my arm was sore for a day or two this year. 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

Never had the jab and never will. The GPs get a cash reward for everyone on their books who has the jab which is why they push it so hard but of course it's already been shown that this year's batch is only about 30% effective anyway.

Are you a ‘flat earth’r’ too by any chance 🙂

I had my jab on Monday (from Boots, the quadrivalent version).  No ill effects at all (other than £13 lighter of pocket).  I have had the Boots one every year for many years now and never had a problem, but years before I had real flu (no jab that year) and was ill in bed for the longest ever time in my life with it.  I will do my best never to go through that again.

Having asthma aggravated emphysema requires I have one every year. I nearly always need a day in bed two or three days later but have not been affected this year.

A doctor told me that having mild flu symptoms from the jab (which is actually a minor dose of flu ) indicates the body is responding to the virus and will allow it to build resistance to a more serious dose if one is exposed to it. 

54 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Are you a ‘flat earth’r’ too by any chance 🙂

Not by any chance. Are you? 😛

Had a week of that Aussie flu thing last winter which the jab wouldn't have protected me against it anyway. The symptoms were there although pretty mild so just felt a bit under the weather for a few days - but then I eat well and keep fit so don't get things badly.

Had flu jab last year no problems. 

15 minutes ago, Westward said:

Not by any chance. Are you? 😛

Had a week of that Aussie flu thing last winter which the jab wouldn't have protected me against it anyway. The symptoms were there although pretty mild so just felt a bit under the weather for a few days - but then I eat well and keep fit so don't get things badly.

How do you know you had Aussie flu, sounds more like a cold. 

23 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

If you have/had flu then you would know about it- a week is a cold.... unable to move, nauseous, short of breath, bedridden for more than a week, aches like you never felt before, then maybe you have flu!!!

Apparently not for some people. 

The symptoms were there although pretty mild so just felt a bit under the weather for a few days - but then I eat well and keep fit so don't get things badly.

14 hours ago, lksopener said:

I’ve never believed in it and consequently never bothered. 

I work in health, well until November and we get pressured every year to have it. I fall out with them every year at least twice as they can’t seem to take no for an answer. 

I was told in meeting with public health England the week before last and they are going to make it compulsory for all care workers(nurses, care staff and doctors etc), who have close contact with vulnerable people to have the flu vac. Staff who refuse will be prevented from attending work as they believe that a significant proportion of the flu deaths from last year could have been prevented if more staff had been inoculated and therefore not spread the infection . This may come into force by as early as next year