This years flu jab

The Heron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, The Heron said:

I had this years flu jab a week ago I have never been so ill in all my life all its like proper flu x 2 I will never have this jab EVER AGAIN.

And if you hadn't had the jab, and had been ill this week, what would you have blamed it on instead ?

I had the flu jab in work (I work in the NHS) on the first day it was being done (19th September), as did all the team I work with. All 8 of us were perfectly fine - apart from one, who was celebrating his 30th birthday the weekend after, and was been decidley ropey on the Monday. But he isn't blaming that on the flu jab !

1 hour ago, yates said:

I was told in meeting with public health England the week before last and they are going to make it compulsory for all care workers(nurses, care staff and doctors etc), who have close contact with vulnerable people to have the flu vac. Staff who refuse will be prevented from attending work as they believe that a significant proportion of the flu deaths from last year could have been prevented if more staff had been inoculated and therefore not spread the infection . This may come into force by as early as next year

Practically with the health system on its **** do you ever think that is going to happen?

Roll on November i am glad I’m getting out. 

1 minute ago, lksopener said:

Practically with the health system on its **** do you ever think that is going to happen?

Roll on November i am glad I’m getting out. 

Yes I think it be forced on all staff. I have never had one in 30 years working in the health industry. Public health really are pushing to make the vaccine compulsory for all staff. Money is always the deciding factor and the cost of the flu epidemic was monumental last year

14 hours ago, ordnance said:

How do you know you had Aussie flu, sounds more like a cold. 

It wasn't a cold. Slight fever, dry cough, loss of appetite, a bit low in energy and a few aches that's all. I just kept warm carried on with life. 

My wife and I never get things badly, the fact that we pay attention to nutrition, health and fitness may just be coincidence of course.

4 hours ago, Westward said:

It wasn't a cold. Slight fever, dry cough, loss of appetite, a bit low in energy and a few aches that's all. I just kept warm carried on with life. 

My wife and I never get things badly, the fact that we pay attention to nutrition, health and fitness may just be coincidence of course.

Then it was not the Flu.  All they seem to call them these days is a "virus" not a cold . And some of these can last for weeks , i have had my fare share of them , with having M.E.  these viruses are getting stronger, and lasting longer.

11 hours ago, yates said:

Yes I think it be forced on all staff. I have never had one in 30 years working in the health industry. Public health really are pushing to make the vaccine compulsory for all staff. Money is always the deciding factor and the cost of the flu epidemic was monumental last year

I work in a hospital, and they can't force anyone to have an injection into their body that they do not want. 

Very seriously doubt it will be forced at all. I believe they had a lot of talk about this in 2011, and following taking in-depth legal advice the national health went quiet. 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I work in a hospital, and they can't force anyone to have an injection into their body that they do not want. 

Very seriously doubt it will be forced at all. I believe they had a lot of talk about this in 2011, and following taking in-depth legal advice the national health went quiet. 

The implication from the meeting was that staff who declined/refused to be inoculated would not be able to work with vulnerable people in group care settings as the risk of cross infection from staff to residents/patients would be too great a risk. Therefore the only option for people who wanted to work would be to have the injection. If you refused you would not be able to work. I cannot remember the exact terminology as the minutes from the meeting have not yet been circulated but the suggestion  it is the care professionals ‘ duty of care’ to be inoculated. It is not something that I personally agree with but all care workers should be aware that this will probably become reality

2 hours ago, yates said:

The implication from the meeting was that staff who declined/refused to be inoculated would not be able to work with vulnerable people in group care settings as the risk of cross infection from staff to residents/patients would be too great a risk. Therefore the only option for people who wanted to work would be to have the injection. If you refused you would not be able to work. I cannot remember the exact terminology as the minutes from the meeting have not yet been circulated but the suggestion  it is the care professionals ‘ duty of care’ to be inoculated. It is not something that I personally agree with but all care workers should be aware that this will probably become reality

Like I said, that’s what they said in 2011 before taking legal advice and finding out it’s a non- starter. 

The vast vast majority of issues comes from poor hygiene processes, eg not cleaning down units, surfaces, trays and not washing hands. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Like I said, that’s what they said in 2011 before taking legal advice and finding out it’s a non- starter. 

The vast vast majority of issues comes from poor hygiene processes, eg not cleaning down units, surfaces, trays and not washing hands. 

From what I observe in hospitals I couldn’t agree more 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The biggest sources of cross infections of colds, flu, norovirus and other stomach bugs etc are supermarket trolleys, public transport and lift buttons.

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Only had 28 days illness in my life since leaving school, NOT going to possibly make myself ill on purpose.

Part of the reason for that good fortune, and the reason, statistically, that most of us old fogeys on this forum are still alive to post is because we have all been vaccinated against most of the killer diseases that used to wipe us out in years gone by.

Before the first world war the average life expectation for a man was 49 years.

Flu is still a serious killer today and not just old people. The Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918-19 killed three times as many people worldwide as had been killed in the previous four years of war. Many of the victims were young and otherwise healthy, once contracted it could kill in 48 hours, the lungs just filled up with fluid.

I have a flu jab every year and had no side effects what so ever, about 25 years ago I had real flu and I can easily see how it could kill you, anything is better than that.  

Edited by Vince Green