This years flu jab

The Heron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

I suspect our GP surgery may have made a unilateral decision here to increase age as they were swamped out with takers for jabs last years. This is 'Gods waiting room' as you can see by the age/standard of driving!!

Its gods waiting room here in Chew Valley. It's nick named death valley by the ambulance drivers due to the demographic of the population (me excluded :-)) and as its so far from the station that when they get here you are most likely dead.

I got my first one the other week and apparently  its free if you suffer with asthma. 

17 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its gods waiting room here in Chew Valley. It's nick named death valley by the ambulance drivers due to the demographic of the population (me excluded :-)) and as its so far from the station that when they get here you are most likely dead.

I got my first one the other week and apparently  its free if you suffer with asthma. 

It is indeed.

42 minutes ago, oowee said:

I wonder where all the bright young things came from then for the cider and cheese festival at the Ring of Bells in CM back in May?

Edited by Penelope

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

I wonder where all the bright young things came from then for the cider and cheese festival at the Ring of Bells in CM back in May?

Next time you are coming over give us a shout always good to meat people off PW 👍 You could even try some of my cider if there is any left. 

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread ......... I note that Boots (I have no connection with Boots) are now taking appointments for this years flu jab with a 10% discount for early booking.

I have had the vaccination for several years running now with no ill effects (and no flu).

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Reviving an old thread ......... I note that Boots (I have no connection with Boots) are now taking appointments for this years flu jab with a 10% discount for early booking.

I have had the vaccination for several years running now with no ill effects (and no flu).

hello, not seen yet in my local Boots, local GP surgery do over 3 saturdays, i have had flu jabs now 5 years, whats the 10% discount for John ?  

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

whats the 10% discount for John ?

I have my flu jab done in Boots every year - and as I'm under 65 and though eligible for free prescriptions, apparently not for flu jab - so I pay for it (I think it is £13) and have it done privately (in my case in Boots).  If you are over 65, or have certain medical conditions (diabetes, asthma, and others) you can get it free on the NHS.

My GP surgery encourages those who are not eligible to have the NHS jab - to have a jab done, but in a high street outlet (I believe Tesco and Sainsbury also offer it?).

10% off price for booking before September 10th (I think that was the date)

Edited by JohnfromUK

I had the flu jab for the first time last year , I had it done at work and it was free , I felt as rough as hell for a week or so afterwards ,but it was better than getting flu.

I haven't had proper flu for about twenty years , the last time that I had it ,i honestly thought that I was going to die , I was still feeling rough for about a year afterwards. 

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

I haven't had proper flu for about twenty years , the last time that I had it ,i honestly thought that I was going to die

I have only had 'proper flu' once, when I was in my 20s - and you are right - it makes you really ill and takes a very long time to get over.  It IS NOT just a bad cold - it is a really serious illness.

I am lucky in that the jab doesn't seem to affect me to any noticeable extent.

33 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have only had 'proper flu' once, when I was in my 20s - and you are right - it makes you really ill and takes a very long time to get over.  It IS NOT just a bad cold - it is a really serious illness.

I am lucky in that the jab doesn't seem to affect me to any noticeable extent.

Yep, it's a pretty miserable experience that I really wouldn't want to repeat (I'm a lot older and less fit these days), I had the full monty , coughing up blood etc , it was good for the diet though , I lost three stones in two weeks 😅.

I get the flu jab each year, now as a matter of routine; you feel a bit rough / dopey for a week but that's it and if you do actually get the flu, you only get 'flu lite'.

My mantra for the winter months is half a 1000 mg tablet of effervescent vitamin C (redoxin tablets) every single day and not to pick your nose; it's taken me a while, but I've worked out that every time I have a good dig around I can set my watch to getting a cold / chest infection.... brutal I know, but a top tip for Winter nonetheless :lol: 

51 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I get the flu jab each year, now as a matter of routine; you feel a bit rough / dopey for a week but that's it and if you do actually get the flu, you only get 'flu lite'.

My mantra for the winter months is half a 1000 mg tablet of effervescent vitamin C (redoxin tablets) every single day and not to pick your nose; it's taken me a while, but I've worked out that every time I have a good dig around I can set my watch to getting a cold / chest infection.... brutal I know, but a top tip for Winter nonetheless :lol: 

Picking your nose is ok , it's eating the bogies that gets you 😅.