This years flu jab

The Heron

I had my first flu jab over 45 years ago when I was at university, when it was suggested that a bout of flu could disrupt my studies.

The adverse reaction laid me out for a week and really disrupted my studies!

About 10 years ago my gp's locum (a cracking blonde) persuaded me that vaccines had improved so much over the years that adverse reactions were now very rare. Ever a susceptible to a pretty face, I went for it, and have continued every year since. 

No problems and no flu.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that bad flu last December and it was horrible! Sadly my Dad also contracted it and was hospitalized due to it, he fought for 16 days before losing the fight :no: He had received the vaccine, but sadly he contracted a strain that he was not protected from. The care he received in hospital was below par and this was mainly due to the fact that there was a massive number of nurses also off ill with the flu. Dad was frail due to having Parkinsons, however he was well enough to be out doing his Christmas shopping on the 19th December and in a hospital bed on Christmas morning, gone on the 10th January :-(

I was visiting Dad and watched the man in the bed next to Dad go into cardiac arrest and die 4 days before Dad passed away! This was a flu ward, and the three remaining men said to each other the next day that the only way they were getting out of the ward was if they died!! Sadly at least 2 of them did, I do not know how the others got on.

I would recommend anyone with any health conditions to get the vaccine as it at least gives you some chance if you get it! A couple of days of feeling a bit rubbish is better than what I witnessed earlier this year.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:32, Dekers said:

Was this the under or over 65 jab?

4 hours ago, m3vert said:

Not sure if you are asking me or someone earlier? If me, Dads flu jab was for the over 65's.

Cheers for that, the question was really aimed at Heron, the OP.

:good:

On 10/10/2018 at 21:30, mel b3 said:

I had the flu jab at work yesterday , i started feeling rough at lunchtime today , and I'm feeling really cack now , it beats full blown flu though.

Same here, I started feeling rough yesterday and now I'm totally done in. Except I didn't have a flu jab. 

I get it annually. Last year's jab (whatever wasn't in it) was the first that didn't knock me off for a few days. 

It normally make me feel under the weather for about a week - but certainly not like flu. I can't lift my head off the pillow for a week when I get flu for real. Have only had it three times in my life and I'm 51.

Had my first flu jab last year when I hit 65 but this year I'm too young! Got to be 75 to get freebie - might die of flu in the intervening 10yrs!

Had a pneumonia (+ menangitis??) jab earlier this year. Hurt like hell. Leaflet said it might make all your limbs swell - read that when I got home - but oddly none of my buddies of same age or older had this one. Any of you lot had this jab?

14 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Had my first flu jab last year when I hit 65 but this year I'm too young! Got to be 75 to get freebie - might die of flu in the intervening 10yrs!

Had a pneumonia (+ menangitis??) jab earlier this year. Hurt like hell. Leaflet said it might make all your limbs swell - read that when I got home - but oddly none of my buddies of same age or older had this one. Any of you lot had this jab?

Yep! I had one a year or two ago, at the same time as a flu jab, a one off immunisation!.........Had no ill effects!

18 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

I thought it was free for 65 and over ? , haven't had mine yet but my wife had her free one last week and she is 70 .

1 hour ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Its still 65 round my way!

I thought that was a National thing...…. is this down to your Local health region?