Glorious afternoon on the wolds

GingerCat

I finished this morning at 7am. It had been a long and weary night shift. Not only were we busy and shoet staffed but one of the lads pointed out that tesco shelf stackers earnt more than he  did and  after confirming it I sent him off to clean the teams mugs as punishment. I had however pondered what the day ahead would hold. 

I got home at 830 and met Jdog at just after 1pm. He had been scouting the fields all week long and we went to see what he found. 

There was a steady stream of birds leaving a 200 acre wood before flying into the wind over a load of stubble. 

We moved about to get a better look and found they were landing in a much smaller wood and also on the stubble just before it. Sheltered and out of the wind. This was a far more favourable position than the Dogs intended spot and we hastily set off. 

To our left some 1500 metres away was the big wood with a thick hedge running along to it.  To the right some 900 metres away was a smaller wood. We set up along a strip of copse and threw the rotary about 8 yards in front. The sun and wind was to out backs and the birds wanted to be there.  4 dead birds finished off the set up and we settled into out hides some 25 yards either side of the rotary. 

Jdog was in the hot seat and within a few minutes the first bird fell to his shot. A moment later and I missed one. Then another. And another. And then some more. I put it down to having less than 3 hours sleep but really they should have been shot. 

The Dogmeister was having no such issues and shot 7 in a row. All screaming in and dropping down having flown low and fast across the fields. 

I had a strong word with myself and dropped a corker at around 50 yards followed by another a touch further to prove the first wasn't a fluke. 

The shooting continued for the next couple of hours and the birds were amazing. They either came in low and fast, hugging  the hedge and presenting a very short window or came in high and fast, banking round into the wind before dropping like a stone. 

We ended up picking 38. I know we shot well over 45 but couldn't find them in the scrub where they dropped. 

What a wonderful couple of hours sport in one of the finest locations there is. 

Once again, and despite feeling the effects of a hard night you ended up with a nice lot of sporting birds in the late summer conditions , the elusive Mr JDog is still getting his eye in and doing his scouting duties in the lovely Wolds .

We were on a Partridge shoot today in very warm conditions with a light Mediterranean breeze blowing , it started with having light clothing on and finished at 3.30 with even less on than we had on during the morning , no fault of the people involved ,but I recon you had better sport than we did for only a fraction of the price , although we still enjoyed the day :good: