I'm Back

pigeon controller

Following my normal drive down to Greece each year and thanks to the members who contacted me re the fires which were approx thirty miles south of my location I returned last week. I did not attempt to go out last weekend due to the constant rain. So I was champing at the bit to get out this weekend so I thawed out the twelve decoys that I had left in the freezer and set out the pick up DB at 09.00. he had not been called out during my ten weeks away so was keen also. We had no idea as to what crop we would be protecting just headed out the the edge of our permissions. On the way we passed a few fields of clover with small numbers of birds feeding. In the previous week I had seen birds on clover at the stables. We were looking for cut maize or bean stubble and found nothing left just seeded fields or standing maize. We phoned a couple of farms and enquired if they had birds around to be told yes we have some birds only to drive over to them and find nothing. We were shocked to find no birds flighting so that we could follow, we phoned a fellow shooter in Coventry and he said the same no birds flighting. Due to the heavy wind we had in the previuos weeks we had lots of acorns on the floor and even more on the trees so we thought that the birds were staying in the woods to feed on the natural harvest. The last phone call was to a farm we had visited first thing which had seed fields but no birds, the reply we got was yes there are about fifty on the seed, so we made a mad dash to it on the way we passed Bunny_Blaster who was glassing a field  we had looked at earlier. We were set up for 14.30 with ten thawed birds on spikes and two on the magnet. the first birds in just gave us a wide birth and would not decoy. We had set up on a gate between two fields with all the decoys on the one field as we shot birds we put them out a stand ups on the other field and they soon decoyed to the stand ups and ignored the magnet and flying frames etc. On a later walk round the field we found numerous hides and so the birds had been subjected to all the gismos during the summer while I was away and were spooky. DB was booked to go out for a curry later so we packed up at 18.00 and picked up seventynine pigeon and five corvids but it was great to be back.  

100_3190.jpg

79 Pigeons and 5 corvids