What a Waste

What a fabulous day this has been.

After a late night on the gin, we were up around 6 for the dogs and breakfast around 9ish. (After going back to bed for a couple hours).

A fellow PW member turned up at 10 to pick up some kit as he is just starting out, really nice bloke just getting into the sport.

Set up on a newly drilled field at 11:30 with my hide companion, Lola (not a transvesite from Ray Davies but my 4 year old black lab). 

The birds were everywhere, coming in singles, pairs, sixes and sevens all day. 

Unfotunately due to the lack of co-ordination from the the late night my shooting was woeful. First bird in, stone dead in the air but then 7 missed on the trot. Another down but another 5 missed. Then 4 on the trot......then alas a stream of missed opportunities. Finished the day with 18 but it should have been 30 or 40.

Lola had a good day making some fabulous retrieves in the wood behind us but overall what should have been a good bag was not to be.

Having said all of that, what a great days shooting. Fast pigeons coming in on the wind and of the 18 I shot, very happy with 7 of them which were pure reaction

Plus the mighty Hammers stuffed U tied 3-1

We'll all barn doors we safe this morning, couldn't hit a thing (well hardly) Did about 50 shells for 10 crows down. Worsts thing is I don't know what I was doing wrong. So today's excuse will mainly be because I've been shooting pigeons all summer and crows fly very different. I sometimes think it's the not knowing what each outing will bring, that keeps us so keen. 

As with you, a nice few hours with gun and dog, and always better than working.

15 hours ago, getthegat said:

We'll all barn doors we safe this morning, couldn't hit a thing (well hardly) Did about 50 shells for 10 crows down. Worsts thing is I don't know what I was doing wrong. So today's excuse will mainly be because I've been shooting pigeons all summer and crows fly very different. I sometimes think it's the not knowing what each outing will bring, that keeps us so keen. 

As with you, a nice few hours with gun and dog, and always better than working.

I have the same problem , because crows seen to fly slower I stop and do not flow with the shot. What I do is mentally shoot in front by giving lead and then more. After the first ten plus birds I'm into them and can continue with the day.

The lead is hard to judge. I've had a pretty good year on pigeons, shooting better than before and seeming to get the lead right more times than not. This was my first day on crows, plus a fairly new gun, a 20 not a 12. The blacks often seem to almost be standing still in the air, being deceptively easy, then you miss....... what the heck! How the hell..... What's worst is missing a second shot, then more birds as they come in, all looking just as easy. Doubt then sets in. You start adjusting and start over thinking it. Am I using the right cartridges? Should I change the choke? Did I shoot over or under that last one? Mental attitude and enjoyment must rule the day, then it falls back into place, as quickly as it fell out.

16 minutes ago, getthegat said:

The lead is hard to judge. I've had a pretty good year on pigeons, shooting better than before and seeming to get the lead right more times than not. This was my first day on crows, plus a fairly new gun, a 20 not a 12. The blacks often seem to almost be standing still in the air, being deceptively easy, then you miss....... what the heck! How the hell..... What's worst is missing a second shot, then more birds as they come in, all looking just as easy. Doubt then sets in. You start adjusting and start over thinking it. Am I using the right cartridges? Should I change the choke? Did I shoot over or under that last one? Mental attitude and enjoyment must rule the day, then it falls back into place, as quickly as it fell out.

I think crows are pretty easy to shoot. They have not got the acrobatic flying ability of a pigeon. They also tend to fly a lot slower than pigeons, so lead must be adjusted accordingly.