X5's burning oil?

harrycatcat1

I keep looking around for something to replace my ageing ML and was looking at a few X5's but when researching them it appears that some folk say that some engines burn oil. One chap says he puts in 1ltr every 1000 miles?????

Even my ML thats done nearly 140,000 miles doesn't need oil between services and never has, even my previous c class didn't over 100,000 miles.

So? Are x5's prone to drinking oil? Also the report/article (off google) lumped in some Audi vehicles as well?

Tia

We had one that would do approx 1L of oil over 10-  12000 miles or so, usually in 2 top ups, had all the tests done under warranty and not one fault found, apparently 'some just do' so it became the norm to just add .5l every 5-6k 

It went on until we sold it on 150k with no issues and was still going strong last i heard

On a side note i had a VW that at 200k never used any oil between services

36 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

We had one that would do approx 1L of oil over 10-  12000 miles or so, usually in 2 top ups, had all the tests done under warranty and not one fault found, apparently 'some just do' so it became the norm to just add .5l every 5-6k 

It went on until we sold it on 150k with no issues and was still going strong last i heard

On a side note i had a VW that at 200k never used any oil between services

Thanks 👍

It can't be a major problem otherwise more folk would have answered, wouldn't they?

We had two that never burned a drop but then I guess that's not likely to happen until they're a little older ?! We've also sold a fair few over the years mainly older ones with 100k + or - miles and can't recall any specific problems. The last one went out a month ago without a service or MOT as it was a quick trade-in, the new buyer is delighted but did ring back and moan the sump was dry 😂 😮 but that could just be exaggeration coupled to obvious previous owners neglect. 

FWIW I sometimes think  having to top up cars with a litre of oil every 10k is prolly not a bad thing anyway as it adds a bit of fresh oil to longish service intervals. 

Much also depends on which specific engines (petrol or diesel) had had the supposed issue. 

Modern synthetic oils are much less prone to burning because they can withstand much higher temperatures. That's assuming the car is being run on synthetic oil, which is not always the case by a long way, even though they should be. 

but "using oil" is not necessarily due to burning, it can be losing it through leakage somewhere.

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, al4x said:

In my experience it is down to harsh use when brand new. We’ve had it with leased merc vans, if they get driven really hard from new they just seem to use loads of oil. Up to 15l between oil changes apparently is within tollerance! 

Now you say that ours was used hard from day 1 so that may explain it and the answer some do from the warranty investigation