Need some shoe recommendations.

Lord v

I need some shoe recommendations.

Im after something with an exceptionally hard wearing sole and smart looking. Definitely a brogue kind of chap. 

Will be worn 5 days out of 7 but not many miles a day. 

The problem is my feet (and gait) are a mess and I wear soles out like they're butter. The attached is 6/8 months wear on a typical pair. DMs when they were made in the UK are ok, would last about 1.5 years. Now there soles come from China don't even ask.  Likewise, the super thick, solid rubber on my work and walking boots lasts but they aren't smart/sleek. 

I don't mind dropping a bit of cash, but I would like to have some confidence they're going to last. 

I'm thinking one of the country outfitters will have something that fits the bill, but I have to idea where to start. (Can you still get metal segs?)

IMG_20180930_191555402.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The commando "itshide" type soles and heels were/are fitted to high quality English made country brogues and would last very well, lately the leather soled heavy shoes seem to have been largely superceded by Dainite, which apparantly has good wear longevity?

But I suppose no shoe soles/heels will last for that long, if subjected to constant use on rough hard surface, as you say gait is a factor as I would think is weight?

But with shoes, as with other things, I fall firmly into the "you get what you pay for" camp!

I have a pair of Crockett Jones "Islay" brogue Boots with Dainite soles/heels, but I ain't worn them often/long enough to comment on how well (or otherwise?) they will wear! 

Weight doesn't help. It's no secret I'm a large chap, but it's also down to some bone growths  on my feet I had during my late teens/ early 20's (since removed) that mean I scuff my heels more than the average chap.

The loakes with a 1/4 section in the heel look like they fit the bill. 

TBH most commercial fashion shoes are cheap and only meant to last a year at most and then require replacement.

The rubbers used in the soles are too soft.

Go for CAT, Hoggs, etc to get a decent sole.

Blakely's Shoe protectors (tacks) are ideal for protection of softer soles but do have disadvantages.

I found the answer to having smart looking, hard wearing shoes is a) buy quality and b) buy more than one pair.

Wearing any pair of shoes 5 days a week will kill them. They need to rest and dry out.

For long term cheap cost of ownership buy Church's or Barkers.

I worked in the City for many years and several of my shoes are over 25 years old, and with the occasional re-sole and re-heel, still look great.

I will watch this with interest. 

Currently i I go for the cheapest office shoes I can find and tend to get three weeks to four months from a pair. Wearing through the soles is what usually kills them. 

Is a quality resole likely to last hugely longer? The last proper resole I had done cost more than I tend to spend on work shoes in  a year, though that was for a set of hand welted riding boots. 

I’ve got several pairs of Trickers Bourton etc, and as mentioned above shoes last a lot longer if they aren’t worn two days on the trot. Stick some cedar shoe trees in to suck up the moisture and leave at least 24hrs to rest. Anything with goodyear welts means they can be re-soled at least 3 times, and I’d say several new heels in between each new sole. Trickers leather soles are triple thickness but still wear down really quickly if worn when wet, so if I get caught in heavy rain I stuff them with newspaper (changed regularly) and leave them for about a week to dry out slowly (no artificial heat). Bit of Saphir renovator leather food and polish every now and again and they still look good a decade on. 

I also have a pair of Edward Green derbys with Dainite soles that have seen 6 years use so far, and the heel is only beginning to get thin so that might be the best option for sole material.

Most of my shoes are from the maker’s country collections which seem to be a bit more substantial and harder-wearing than the city ranges. They are sometimes about 1/2 a size bigger too to accommodate thicker socks, so be wary of this if you’re ordering online.

Edited by Cheesefiend

I have a nice pair of Joseph Cheany black Oxford shoes but I don’t wear them a lot. 

Fof everyday I don’t think you can beat a good pair of Brouges from one of the top UK hand made shoe makers. 

Go try several different makes as not all will suit your feet, even with different lasts the shape might not fit right. 

You can get hard rubber replaceable segs (segments) fitted if you don’t like the the click clack of the steel ones or the slipperynesss on polished stone floors.  Come a cropper a few times with steel segs. 

3 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Metal bits on the soles.

?

Segs/Blakeys might well be a help.

They're inexpensive, and might make a difference.

It’s pointless buying shoes for anything other than FIT. It’s important for them to wear well, but, unless you have comfy shoes, you’re on to a loser.

LS

1 hour ago, Cheesefiend said:

I also have a pair of Edward Green derbys with Dainite soles that have seen 6 years use so far, and the heel is only beginning to get thin so that might be the best option for sole material.

All my shoes are Eddie Greens, but, oddly enough, I found that the Dainite soles on one pair really didn’t last as well as I’d hoped. If I ever went for a rubber sole again, I’d go with their “Thames” sole, which is wearing very well on on pair (the ones I wore today, in fact).

Love EG shoes :wub:

LS

Just had a look on Edward Greens shoe site, wonder what makes a pair of his shoes upto three times the price of other hand made English shoes.  All the different hand made shoes are made of leather and the same rubber or leather soles. 

A pair of unlined suade shoes with rubber soles for near on £1200.00 

Edited by figgy

Any good British shoe would be a more economical purchase than the type available on the high street. I buy either Loaks Grensons or Barkers, initially expensive but over the life of the shoe (10 years plus easily) they are pretty good value, and always smart. Have a look at the factory shops in Northampton our shoe capital (not the bodgit ones)

Quality never goes out of fashion, something my Dad used to say, and as always he was right. 

You could also possible have a chirpodist have a look at your gait, they can carry out amazing things these days. They look at body mechanics and I know they can fix walking issues. 

On 30/09/2018 at 19:33, Lord v said:

I need some shoe recommendations.

Im after something with an exceptionally hard wearing sole and smart looking. Definitely a brogue kind of chap. 

Will be worn 5 days out of 7 but not many miles a day. 

The problem is my feet (and gait) are a mess and I wear soles out like they're butter. The attached is 6/8 months wear on a typical pair. DMs when they were made in the UK are ok, would last about 1.5 years. Now there soles come from China don't even ask.  Likewise, the super thick, solid rubber on my work and walking boots lasts but they aren't smart/sleek. 

I don't mind dropping a bit of cash, but I would like to have some confidence they're going to last. 

I'm thinking one of the country outfitters will have something that fits the bill, but I have to idea where to start. (Can you still get metal segs?)

IMG_20180930_191555402.jpg

Looks like your tracking is out mate😀

4 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Some here should last you a while what size ? 

02DFBD0F-1087-412E-B459-477D7830EA9C.png

😂😂😂

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

Any good British shoe would be a more economical purchase than the type available on the high street. I buy either Loaks Grensons or Barkers, initially expensive but over the life of the shoe (10 years plus easily) they are pretty good value, and always smart. Have a look at the factory shops in Northampton our shoe capital (not the bodgit ones)

Quality never goes out of fashion, something my Dad used to say, and as always he was right. 

You could also possible have a chirpodist have a look at your gait, they can carry out amazing things these days. They look at body mechanics and I know they can fix walking issues. 

How does you annual shoe cost work out with resoling? I do get tempted by a nice pair of shoes but have never been able to make the numbers come out remotely favourable for them assuming they are made of anything but kryptonite. 

On on a bad year I may go through four to six pairs of work shoes but tend to spend £10-15 per pair, which seems to match the price for one resole. 

7 hours ago, Wb123 said:

How does you annual shoe cost work out with resoling? I do get tempted by a nice pair of shoes but have never been able to make the numbers come out remotely favourable for them assuming they are made of anything but kryptonite. 

On on a bad year I may go through four to six pairs of work shoes but tend to spend £10-15 per pair, which seems to match the price for one resole. 

Never mind, it doesnt matter. You stick to your Brantano shoes and I'll stick to mine. 

Don't know about kryptonite being used on shoes, I'll ask next time I get my shoes done.