Need some shoe recommendations.

Lord v

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just slightly off track but I had an uncle in Scotland (very regrettably no longer with us) who was not short of a shilling or three and who liked good shoes. His problem was that his left foot was size 5 and his right foot size 8, so his shoes had to be specially made.

A solution was found when he put an advert in The Times stating "Gentleman in Scotland with size 5 left foot and size 8 right foot requests communication from gentleman with size 8 left foot and size 5 right foot to discuss shoe purchases"....and he found someone in Surry (I think) and they would buy identical quality shoes, one pair size 8 and one pair size 5 and send each other the respective sized shoe.

Who said the Scots were tight? I think that's quite canny!

Edited by Eyefor

6 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Just slightly off track but I had an uncle in Scotland (very regrettably no longer with us) who was not short of a shilling or three and who liked good shoes. His problem was that his left foot was size 5 and his right foot size 8, so his shoes had to be specially made.

A solution was found when he put an advert in The Times stating "Gentleman in Scotland with size 5 left foot and size 8 right foot requests communication from gentleman with size 8 left foot and size 5 right foot to discuss shoe purchases"....and he found someone in Surry (I think) and they would buy identical quality shoes, one pair size 8 and one pair size 5 and send each other the respective sized shoe.

Who said the Scots were tight? I think that's quite canny!

That's just sensible. 

On 2 October 2018 at 21:02, Mice! said:

good mattress and good shoes, if your not in one your in the other,

i wouldn't wear shoes all day that were that cheap, I'm working in boots which are probably £40 ish, some of the prices folk have mentioned make me cringe but that's just me, I'm sure if you spent £30-40 which isn't dear your feet would thank you.

I have experimented up to around £80 a pair but not found them to be significantly more comfortable or long lasting. That said i suspect I am rather lucky with shoe fit as very rarely do things not seem to fit straight off the shelf.

Wellies I dont skimp on, but I notice a huge difference in comfort with Aigle vs £5 cheapies, and many weeks i will walk further in my wellies over more time than my work shoes (often half my week will be spent in environments requiring work provided footwear).

Trying a really nice set of shoes some time is on the bucket list, but it will have to wait until i have more cash floating around.

12 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I have experimented up to around £80 a pair but not found them to be significantly more comfortable or long lasting. That said i suspect I am rather lucky with shoe fit as very rarely do things not seem to fit straight off the shelf.

Wellies I dont skimp on, but I notice a huge difference in comfort with Aigle vs £5 cheapies, and many weeks i will walk further in my wellies over more time than my work shoes (often half my week will be spent in environments requiring work provided footwear).

Trying a really nice set of shoes some time is on the bucket list, but it will have to wait until i have more cash floating around.

From my really limited experience of 'nice' shoes there is a significant jump in quality that justifys the extra £100 a pair. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/09/2018 at 19:54, Scully said:

I have Loakes and Trickers, both of which can be bought with leather soles and quarter plates ( segs ) if you want them. Hoggs also do some very nice shoes on a similar design. 

All can also be bought with Vibram soles I believe.

Ditto, I buy Trickers. I  buy their brogues, and my 16 stone does tend to hammer them, but I send them back to the factory, and they rebuild them. Even from brand new, it,s like putting on a pair of comfy slippers, they do not have to be broken in! Pricey, but you get what you pay for. (And British!)